Seeking driver for FLIR / Point Grey cameras using Spinnaker

Seeking driver for FLIR / Point Grey cameras using Spinnaker

Davidson, Lance A

We are looking for drivers for a Blackfly S camera from Point Grey.

Sadly, Point Grey is moving all their cameras from Flycapture (MM-friendly) to Spinnaker libraries (MM-not).

Alternatively, if you have source code for the old Flycapture drivers I could try updating them to use Spinnaker calls.

Best,

Lance

Lance Davidson

Professor and Wellington C. Carl Fellow

BioEngineering, Dev Biology, Comp. and Systems Biology

University of Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh PA 15213

website: mechmorpho.org

instagram: instagram.com/mechmorpho

orcid: 0000-0002-2956-0437

Re: Seeking driver for FLIR / Point Grey cameras using Spinnaker

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Lance,

We are looking for drivers for a Blackfly S camera from Point Grey.

Sadly, Point Grey is moving all their cameras from Flycapture (MM-friendly) to Spinnaker libraries (MM-not).

Alternatively, if you have source code for the old Flycapture drivers I could try updating them to use Spinnaker calls.

The source code for the Micro-Manager device adapters is in the MM repository: https://valelab4.ucsf.edu/svn/micromanager2/trunk/DeviceAdapters/PointGrey/

Various people have expressed interest in a Spinnaker adapter, and/or willingness to start working on one, so hopefully someone has some code they could share with you.

Re: Seeking driver for FLIR / Point Grey cameras using Spinnaker

Sunil

Hi all,

Elliot Steele has been working on a Spinnaker adapter – this message is just so he can jump in, as it seems a bit tricky to reply to mailing list items that were sent before you subscribe to the list?

Regards,

Sunil

Re: Seeking driver for FLIR / Point Grey cameras using Spinnaker

Elliot M Steele
Hi all (and thanks Sunil),

As Sunil mentioned I started writing a Spinnaker device adapter as part of my masters project and I'm still maintaining it. Its been tested with the Chameleon, Blackfly S and Grasshopper USB3 cameras on Windows only

There is also a compiled version available for the latest 64-bit Windows Spinnaker SDK version (1.20 at the time of writing) available from Cairn Research, free of charge. Your best bet is to email [hidden email] if you want to go that route. They can also provide installation instructions and possibly some limited support (although I imagine that most queries will just be passed on to me). I also have copies of the compiled versions that I can provide google drive links to if you drop me an email (I don't want to include it in this email because I don't know the mailing list rules about posting links to compiled code)

Hope this helps,
Elliot

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 17:17, Kumar, Sunil <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Elliot Steele has been working on a Spinnaker adapter – this message is just so he can jump in, as it seems a bit tricky to reply to mailing list items that were sent before you subscribe to the list?

Regards,

Sunil

Re: Seeking driver for FLIR / Point Grey cameras using Spinnaker

ALON OYLER YANIV
Hi Elliot,

This is awesome. Thanks for your contribution. A link to the compiled version would be appreciated by many.

Would it be possible to add this to the nightly build?

—alon

On 5 Feb 2019, at 10:06, Elliot M Steele <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all (and thanks Sunil),

As Sunil mentioned I started writing a Spinnaker device adapter as part of my masters project and I'm still maintaining it. Its been tested with the Chameleon, Blackfly S and Grasshopper USB3 cameras on Windows only

There is also a compiled version available for the latest 64-bit Windows Spinnaker SDK version (1.20 at the time of writing) available from Cairn Research, free of charge. Your best bet is to email [hidden email] if you want to go that route. They can also provide installation instructions and possibly some limited support (although I imagine that most queries will just be passed on to me). I also have copies of the compiled versions that I can provide google drive links to if you drop me an email (I don't want to include it in this email because I don't know the mailing list rules about posting links to compiled code)

Hope this helps,
Elliot

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 17:17, Kumar, Sunil <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Elliot Steele has been working on a Spinnaker adapter – this message is just so he can jump in, as it seems a bit tricky to reply to mailing list items that were sent before you subscribe to the list?

Regards,

Sunil

Re: Seeking driver for FLIR / Point Grey cameras using Spinnaker

Hi Elliot,

> As Sunil mentioned I started writing a Spinnaker device adapter as
> part of my masters project and I'm still maintaining it. Its been
> tested with the Chameleon, Blackfly S and Grasshopper USB3 cameras on
> Windows only
>
> The source code is available here:
> https://bitbucket.org/esteele663/fyp_spinnakerdeviceadapter/src/master/
>
> There is also a compiled version available for the latest 64-bit
> Windows Spinnaker SDK version (1.20 at the time of writing) available
> from Cairn Research, free of charge. Your best bet is to email
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> if you
> want to go that route. They can also provide installation instructions
> and possibly some limited support (although I imagine that most
> queries will just be passed on to me). I also have copies of the
> compiled versions that I can provide google drive links to if you drop
> me an email (I don't want to include it in this email because I don't
> know the mailing list rules about posting links to compiled code)

That is great!  Do you mind me adding this to the Micro-Manager source
code repository (as many people are interested in using this, and binary
only adapters are a pain for everyone)?  If that is OK, how is the
source code licensed?

Re: Seeking driver for FLIR / Point Grey cameras using Spinnaker

Elliot M Steele

Hi Nico,

Personally, I don't have any problems with it being included with uManager but there are one or two complications to do with the way the Spinnaker SDK works. Basically, versions of the SDK with different minor versions aren't binary compatible. Each SDK also contains 3 versions compiled against different versions of the Visual C++ runtimes. This ends up meaning that the device adapter won’t work unless the end user installs exactly the correct versions of the Spinnaker drivers. To complicate things further, Point Grey generally only provide the current version of the SDK for download meaning new users won’t be able to get them to work at all unless we keep recompiling against the new versions. I seem to remember that Point Grey kept an old version of FlyCapture SDK available to support the old uManager device adapters so they might be willing to do the same again

As for the licensing I haven’t really thought about it if I’m honest. I’m happy to stick whatever license is easiest for uManager as long as it ships with some copyright so perhaps something like MIT? I’d welcome your input on that. I also haven’t checked to see what license the Spinnaker SDK ships with

I’ve also copied Jez from Cairn in as they have a vested interest in the device adapters and I think they should have some input

Best,

Elliot

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 18:46, Stuurman, Nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Elliot,

> As Sunil mentioned I started writing a Spinnaker device adapter as
> part of my masters project and I'm still maintaining it. Its been
> tested with the Chameleon, Blackfly S and Grasshopper USB3 cameras on
> Windows only
>
> The source code is available here:
> https://bitbucket.org/esteele663/fyp_spinnakerdeviceadapter/src/master/
>
> There is also a compiled version available for the latest 64-bit
> Windows Spinnaker SDK version (1.20 at the time of writing) available
> from Cairn Research, free of charge. Your best bet is to email
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> if you
> want to go that route. They can also provide installation instructions
> and possibly some limited support (although I imagine that most
> queries will just be passed on to me). I also have copies of the
> compiled versions that I can provide google drive links to if you drop
> me an email (I don't want to include it in this email because I don't
> know the mailing list rules about posting links to compiled code)

That is great!  Do you mind me adding this to the Micro-Manager source
code repository (as many people are interested in using this, and binary
only adapters are a pain for everyone)?  If that is OK, how is the
source code licensed?

Re: Seeking driver for FLIR / Point Grey cameras using Spinnaker

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Elliot,

> Personally, I don't have any problems with it being included with
> uManager but there are one or two complications to do with the way the
> Spinnaker SDK works. Basically, versions of the SDK with different
> minor versions aren't binary compatible. Each SDK also contains 3
> versions compiled against different versions of the Visual C++
> runtimes. This ends up meaning that the device adapter won’t work
> unless the end user installs exactly the correct versions of the
> Spinnaker drivers. To complicate things further, Point Grey generally
> only provide the current version of the SDK for download meaning new
> users won’t be able to get them to work at all unless we keep
> recompiling against the new versions. I seem to remember that Point
> Grey kept an old version of FlyCapture SDK available to support the
> old uManager device adapters so they might be willing to do the same again

Correct.  Point Grey/FLIR does not allow us to redistribute the dll
(which would be easiest for the end user), but they have been sending
the appropriate FlyCapture version to everyone who requested it, and I
don't doubt they will do something similar for Spinnaker. There will
need to be good instructions so that users stand a chance making it work
in one go.
> As for the licensing I haven’t really thought about it if I’m honest.
> I’m happy to stick whatever license is easiest for uManager as long as
> it ships with some copyright so perhaps something like MIT? I’d
> welcome your input on that. I also haven’t checked to see what license
> the Spinnaker SDK ships with

MIT/BSD/LGPL/Apache all should be fine.

> I’ve also copied Jez from Cairn in as they have a vested interest in
> the device adapters and I think they should have some input

OK, I'll wait for his feedback.

Re: Seeking driver for FLIR / Point Grey cameras using Spinnaker

Karl Bellve-3
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:24 PM Elliot M Steele
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all (and thanks Sunil),
>
> As Sunil mentioned I started writing a Spinnaker device adapter as part of my masters project and I'm still maintaining it. Its been tested with the Chameleon, Blackfly S and Grasshopper USB3 cameras on Windows only
>
> The source code is available here: https://bitbucket.org/esteele663/fyp_spinnakerdeviceadapter/src/master/

This is awesome! Thanks for doing this and releasing the code.

Karl Bellvé
Biomedical Imaging Group
Molecular Medicine