Selecting alignment camera for micro-manager compatibility

Selecting alignment camera for micro-manager compatibility

Pavak Shah
Hello all,

We recently purchased an Olympus IX81 microscope that has been specially built with two sets of optics above and below the sample stage. We're looking to purchase a second camera for the upper set of optics that is going to be used primarily for alignment and software auto-focus so it doesn't need to be a cooled or high sensitivity camera. Can anyone recommend a relatively low-cost CCD camera compatible with micro-manager that might be good for this type of application?

Thanks,
Pavak Shah
Joint Dept. of Biomedical Engineering
UNC Chapel Hill / NC State University

Re: Selecting alignment camera for micro-manager compatibility

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Pavak,

> We recently purchased an Olympus IX81 microscope that has been
> specially built with two sets of optics above and below the sample
> stage. We're looking to purchase a second camera for the upper set
> of optics that is going to be used primarily for alignment and
> software auto-focus so it doesn't need to be a cooled or high
> sensitivity camera. Can anyone recommend a relatively low-cost CCD
> camera compatible with micro-manager that might be good for this
> type of application?

Currently, the lowest cost cameras supported by Micro-Manager are
iidc1394 compatible cameras on Mac and Linux ( http://damien.douxchamps.net/ieee1394/cameras/
  ), ABS on Windows, and Scion ( http://www.scioncorp.com/ ) on
Windows and Mac.  Scion just contributed code for a Micro-Manager
adapter to us and their adapter will be included in the upcoming
release 1.3.41.