Serial (rs 232) hardware handshake DTR

Norbert Vischer-2
Hello all,

here is my first question to this list:

is there an example or doc about serial hardware handshake?
I am using micromanager to update an older system using
a Coolsnap camera and a MacPro G5. The old system controls the shutter via the static DTR signal, using commands like "set DTR low" and "set DTR high".

So far, I got the camera working and also could address the USB to serial adapter USA28x
on both ports (thanks to the micromanager developers!):

port1 = "/dev/tty.KeySerial1";
port2 = "/dev/tty.USA28Xb2P2.2";

mmc.setSerialPortCommand(port1, "A", "");
mmc.setSerialPortCommand(port2, "B", "");

Now I would like to control the DTR signal.

Norbert Vischer

Re: Serial (rs 232) hardware handshake DTR

Hoover, Karl
Hello Norbert,

That is a very good question. In my understanding, the only functions available in microManager for the serial ports are setSerialPortCommand,

readFromSerialPort,  and getSerialPortAnswer.

The functionality you are requesting is underneath that level at the level of the hardware handshaking. Would you  be able to to control your shutter with a simple Digital I/O board?

Best Regards,
Karl Hoover