Shutter control via Ludl MAC5000

mglotzer
I am trying to get micro-manager to talk to my Ludl MAC5000.

The MAC5000 controls 3 separate shutters (via TTL I presume).

Using a terminal program, I can control all three shutters
E.g.
open s 1
open s 2
open s 3

close s 1
close s 2
close s 3

And everything works. I can also control all 3 shutters with metamorph.

If I install the Ludl device with micro-manager, I can control shutter 1 and the FW, but don’t seem to have a way to access the other shutters. I have trolled through the documentation for the MAC 5000 and micromanager, but haven’t been able to solve this yet.

The micromanager wiki says:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Ludl

“There can be up to 5 'devices' (i.e., controller cards) per controller, and each controller card can have 3 shutters and 2 filter wheels. You will therefore need to specify for each Wheel and Shutter a device number (1-5 and WheelNumber (1-2) or ShutterNumber (1-3).”

I have one controller card, connected to 1 Filter wheel and three shutters. My understanding is that in micro-manager I should add one hardware device and then configure specific properties.
(I did try adding additional hardware items, but that threw a communication error, presumably because there is only one card).

How does one specify device numbers for ShutterNumber2 and 3 in micro-manager. I could also edit the cfg file directly if that is easier.

Thanks for your help.

Best,
Michael

Re: Shutter control via Ludl MAC5000

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Michael,

Great to hear from you here!

> I am trying to get micro-manager to talk to my Ludl MAC5000.
>
> The MAC5000 controls 3 separate shutters (via TTL I presume).
>
> Using a terminal program, I can control all three shutters
> E.g.
> open s 1
> open s 2
> open s 3
>
> close s 1
> close s 2
> close s 3
>
> And everything works. I can also control all 3 shutters with metamorph.
>
> If I install the Ludl device with micro-manager, I can control shutter
> 1 and the FW, but don’t seem to have a way to access the other
> shutters. I have trolled through the documentation for the MAC 5000
> and micromanager, but haven’t been able to solve this yet.
>
> The micromanager wiki says:
> https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Ludl
> <https://protect2.fireeye.com/url?k=cdaac7d8-91eaaa8e-cdaae0c5-0cc47adb57f0-5238323d11d97770&u=https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Ludl>
>
> “There can be up to 5 'devices' (i.e., controller cards) per
> controller, and each controller card can have 3 shutters and 2 filter
> wheels. You will therefore need to specify for each Wheel and Shutter
> a device number (1-5 and WheelNumber (1-2) or ShutterNumber (1-3).”
>
> I have one controller card, connected to 1 Filter wheel and three
> shutters. My understanding is that in micro-manager I should add one
> hardware device and then configure specific properties.
> (I did try adding additional hardware items, but that threw a
> communication error, presumably because there is only one card).
>
> How does one specify device numbers for ShutterNumber2 and 3 in
> micro-manager. I could also edit the cfg file directly if that is easier.

My memory is a bit hazy here, but I think that you can add multiple
shutter devices in the hardware configuration wizard.  Each one takes a
"Shutter number" as a pre-initialization property.  It is a bit
confusing, but the concept of a "device" may be a bit different here.
MM sees each shutter as a separate "device", even though they are all
controlled by the same card in the Ludl controller.

Hope this will work;)

Re: Shutter control via Ludl MAC5000

mglotzer
Thanks Nico! I’ll try that again. Maybe I have to tweak the properties a bit more. I’ll get back in touch either way.

Best,
Michael

> On Apr 24, 2019, at 6:39 PM, Stuurman, Nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> Great to hear from you here!
>
>> I am trying to get micro-manager to talk to my Ludl MAC5000.
>>
>> The MAC5000 controls 3 separate shutters (via TTL I presume).
>>
>> Using a terminal program, I can control all three shutters
>> E.g.
>> open s 1
>> open s 2
>> open s 3
>>
>> close s 1
>> close s 2
>> close s 3
>>
>> And everything works. I can also control all 3 shutters with metamorph.
>>
>> If I install the Ludl device with micro-manager, I can control shutter
>> 1 and the FW, but don’t seem to have a way to access the other
>> shutters. I have trolled through the documentation for the MAC 5000
>> and micromanager, but haven’t been able to solve this yet.
>>
>> The micromanager wiki says:
>> https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Ludl
>> <https://protect2.fireeye.com/url?k=cdaac7d8-91eaaa8e-cdaae0c5-0cc47adb57f0-5238323d11d97770&u=https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Ludl>
>>
>> “There can be up to 5 'devices' (i.e., controller cards) per
>> controller, and each controller card can have 3 shutters and 2 filter
>> wheels. You will therefore need to specify for each Wheel and Shutter
>> a device number (1-5 and WheelNumber (1-2) or ShutterNumber (1-3).”
>>
>> I have one controller card, connected to 1 Filter wheel and three
>> shutters. My understanding is that in micro-manager I should add one
>> hardware device and then configure specific properties.
>> (I did try adding additional hardware items, but that threw a
>> communication error, presumably because there is only one card).
>>
>> How does one specify device numbers for ShutterNumber2 and 3 in
>> micro-manager. I could also edit the cfg file directly if that is easier.
>
> My memory is a bit hazy here, but I think that you can add multiple
> shutter devices in the hardware configuration wizard.  Each one takes a
> "Shutter number" as a pre-initialization property.  It is a bit
> confusing, but the concept of a "device" may be a bit different here.
> MM sees each shutter as a separate "device", even though they are all
> controlled by the same card in the Ludl controller.
>
> Hope this will work;)
>
> Best,
>
> Nico

Re: Shutter control via Ludl MAC5000

mglotzer
I was able to solve this problem. The catch-22 was with the Hardware Wizard, when a new shutter was added, it added an additional hardware device which resulted in a communication error
“Cannot set property “State” to “0” [ Error in device "Ludl Shutter-2”: Error while sending a command to the shutter (10020)”
The solution was to delete the lines which are indented below.

# Pre-init settings for devices
Property,COM6,AnswerTimeout,2000.0000
Property,COM6,BaudRate,9600
Property,COM6,DelayBetweenCharsMs,11.0000
Property,COM6,Handshaking,Off
Property,COM6,Parity,None
Property,COM6,StopBits,2
Property,COM6,Verbose,1
Property,LudlController,Port,COM6
Property,LudlShutter-1,LudlDeviceNumberShutter,1
Property,LudlShutter-1,LudlShutterNumber,1
            Property,LudlShutter-2,LudlDeviceNumberShutter,2
Property,LudlShutter-2,LudlShutterNumber,2
            Property,LudlShutter-3,LudlDeviceNumberShutter,3
Property,LudlShutter-3,LudlShutterNumber,3
Property,LudlWheel,Fiter Positions,6  (*****)
Property,LudlWheel,Home-Timeout-(s),10.0000
Property,LudlWheel,LudlDeviceNumberWheel,1
Property,LudlWheel,LudlWheelNumber,1

One other thing that I noticed, was that the line indicated with the (*****), has a typo “Fiter", not “Filter". Correcting the typo created an error  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am a MMG newbie. Two things I would suggest to other beginners:
1) set up cfg files for each device separately, test, debug, and then combine.
2) while the wizard can be handy to create the first draft of the cfg file, if you need to debug it, directly edit the cfg file in a text editor and then reload hardware configuration until you get each device functional.

best,
Michael

> On Apr 24, 2019, at 8:25 PM, Michael Glotzer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Nico! I’ll try that again. Maybe I have to tweak the properties a bit more. I’ll get back in touch either way.
>
> Best,
> Michael
>
>> On Apr 24, 2019, at 6:39 PM, Stuurman, Nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Great to hear from you here!
>>
>>> I am trying to get micro-manager to talk to my Ludl MAC5000.
>>>
>>> The MAC5000 controls 3 separate shutters (via TTL I presume).
>>>
>>> Using a terminal program, I can control all three shutters
>>> E.g.
>>> open s 1
>>> open s 2
>>> open s 3
>>>
>>> close s 1
>>> close s 2
>>> close s 3
>>>
>>> And everything works. I can also control all 3 shutters with metamorph.
>>>
>>> If I install the Ludl device with micro-manager, I can control shutter
>>> 1 and the FW, but don’t seem to have a way to access the other
>>> shutters. I have trolled through the documentation for the MAC 5000
>>> and micromanager, but haven’t been able to solve this yet.
>>>
>>> The micromanager wiki says:
>>> https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Ludl
>>> <https://protect2.fireeye.com/url?k=cdaac7d8-91eaaa8e-cdaae0c5-0cc47adb57f0-5238323d11d97770&u=https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Ludl>
>>>
>>> “There can be up to 5 'devices' (i.e., controller cards) per
>>> controller, and each controller card can have 3 shutters and 2 filter
>>> wheels. You will therefore need to specify for each Wheel and Shutter
>>> a device number (1-5 and WheelNumber (1-2) or ShutterNumber (1-3).”
>>>
>>> I have one controller card, connected to 1 Filter wheel and three
>>> shutters. My understanding is that in micro-manager I should add one
>>> hardware device and then configure specific properties.
>>> (I did try adding additional hardware items, but that threw a
>>> communication error, presumably because there is only one card).
>>>
>>> How does one specify device numbers for ShutterNumber2 and 3 in
>>> micro-manager. I could also edit the cfg file directly if that is easier.
>>
>> My memory is a bit hazy here, but I think that you can add multiple
>> shutter devices in the hardware configuration wizard.  Each one takes a
>> "Shutter number" as a pre-initialization property.  It is a bit
>> confusing, but the concept of a "device" may be a bit different here.
>> MM sees each shutter as a separate "device", even though they are all
>> controlled by the same card in the Ludl controller.
>>
>> Hope this will work;)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Nico

Re: Shutter control via Ludl MAC5000

Stuurman, Nico
Thanks for the update Michael!,

The Ludl adapter is quite old (in fact, it was the first one written!)
and has probably not been updated well enough.  The issue you ran into
really should be dealt with in the Ludl device adapter code.  I'll see
if I'll get to it, but it will likely be a while...