Shutter timeout with Nikon Eclipse Ti

tmn

Shutter timeout with Nikon Eclipse Ti

tmn
Hi, I am trying to control a CoolLED pe-100 as a transmitted light lamp using the Ti hub's built-in shutter control.  (It comes with two trigger cables that allow you to control BNC devices from the hub.)

MicroManager sees the shutter as I've set it up in Ti Tool, but whenever I try to open the shutter it just times out.  I suspect this is a problem with Nikon's API, as Ti Tool also has trouble controlling the shutter.  On the other hand, Metamorph has no difficulties.  I don't think this is a problem specific to the CoolLED, because I dug out an old Uniblitz controller and it also had the timeout problem. (Again without difficulties in Metamorph.)

So is this a Micromanager problem or a Nikon problem?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Shutter timeout with Nikon Eclipse Ti

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
> Hi, I am trying to control a CoolLED pe-100 as a transmitted light lamp using the Ti hub's built-in shutter control.  (It comes with two trigger cables that allow you to control BNC devices from the hub.)
>
> MicroManager sees the shutter as I've set it up in Ti Tool, but whenever I try to open the shutter it just times out.  I suspect this is a problem with Nikon's API, as Ti Tool also has trouble controlling the shutter.  On the other hand, Metamorph has no difficulties.  I don't think this is a problem specific to the CoolLED, because I dug out an old Uniblitz controller and it also had the timeout problem. (Again without difficulties in Metamorph.)

If I remember correctly, these BNCs connections were designed for the Sutter SmartShutter controller and there is a trigger out and a trigger in (which signals that the shutter actually opened).  If this return signal is not connected, then the Nikon API will never be aware that the shutter actually opened.  Micro-Manager (and Ti Tool) do ask the Nikon API whether the shutter really opened and they have problems when the return BNC is not connected, possibly Metamorph completely ignores the state of the shutter as reported by the Nikon API.  If this all is correct (this is all from memory, I do not have the appropriate documentation here), then you could fix the situation by putting a T connection in your connection to the CoolLED and hook that up to the TTL in on the Nikon Hub such that it is connected directly to the Nikon Hub TTL out.  Please do check the documentation to the Nikon Hub before trying this!

tmn

Re: Shutter timeout with Nikon Eclipse Ti

tmn
Nico, great idea.  I tried something that I think is equivalent -- I hooked up the Pulse In input of the Uniblitz shutter I mentioned to the Trigger Input, and the Pulse Out output of the shutter (normally used for daisy chaining) to the Trigger Output cable.  It got closer to working, but unfortunately still doesn't quite work.  (No more timeouts, but now it gets stuck after one transition, so some sort of feedback is occurring.)

So I guess I will have to explore some other options for controlling the CoolLED.  I know some people who solved this problem by controlling it with an Arduino board.

Thanks again,
Tom