Spectral LMM5 USB Connection

nranthony
Hi all,
can anybody advise on connecting my LMM5/3 unit (SN 0701047) via USB.  I don't see the LMM5-HID in the drop down, only COM ports.  The unit only has a USB connection, so I'm kinda stuck.

Windows recognized the unit and installed what appeared to be a generic USB driver, which I can seem to find in the device manager.  The unit works fine manually with the push buttons on the front of the control box.  I've tried MM1.4 and MMb3 nightly (I prefer to use the latter as it's nicer to use, and when I finally get around to contributing I'm more up to speed).

Thanks in advance for your time.

Neil

Re: Spectral LMM5 USB Connection

Austin
You need the LMM5 programming manual to communicate with it over serial. Do you have that manual?

Austin

> On Dec 15, 2016, at 1:25 PM, nranthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> can anybody advise on connecting my LMM5/3 unit (SN 0701047) via USB.  I
> don't see the LMM5-HID in the drop down, only COM ports.  The unit only has
> a USB connection, so I'm kinda stuck.
>
> Windows recognized the unit and installed what appeared to be a generic USB
> driver, which I can seem to find in the device manager.  The unit works fine
> manually with the push buttons on the front of the control box.  I've tried
> MM1.4 and MMb3 nightly (I prefer to use the latter as it's nicer to use, and
> when I finally get around to contributing I'm more up to speed).
>
> Thanks in advance for your time.
>
> Neil

Re: Spectral LMM5 USB Connection

Hi Neil,

On 12/15/16 1:25 PM, nranthony wrote:
> can anybody advise on connecting my LMM5/3 unit (SN 0701047) via USB.  I
> don't see the LMM5-HID in the drop down, only COM ports.  The unit only has
> a USB connection, so I'm kinda stuck.
>
> Windows recognized the unit and installed what appeared to be a generic USB
> driver, which I can seem to find in the device manager.

Can you figure out what the vendor ID and device ID are?  You should be
able to find these in the Device Manager (under the advanced tab or
something like that).  Micro-manager looks for vendor ID 0xbdb and
device ID 0x0300.  I can imagine that these changed after Andor took
over Spectral.  If you can find those numbers, I can add them to the
HIDManager code in Micro-Manager, which should make the device appear as
a HID port, and we can see what happens then.

Re: Spectral LMM5 USB Connection

nranthony
Hi Nico, thanks for the follow up.

I did a couple of things to double check: 1) I had a bunch of Windows updates to preform (fresh install), and 2) I removed the unknown USB devices using USBDeview so I could see how it was recognized again.

Windows see the device as simply a "USB Input Device".  The vendor ID is 1428 and the ProductID is 0300.  All the details of the USB connection are uploaded here:
report.html  It does show the Device Name as an LMM5, so it looks promising.

Please let me know if you need any further details from me.

Thanks
Neil

Re: Spectral LMM5 USB Connection

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Neil.

On 12/19/16 9:47 AM, nranthony wrote:
> I did a couple of things to double check: 1) I had a bunch of Windows
> updates to preform (fresh install), and 2) I removed the unknown USB devices
> using USBDeview so I could see how it was recognized again.
>
> Windows see the device as simply a "USB Input Device".  The vendor ID is
> 1428 and the ProductID is 0300.

The product ID is the same as in the previous model, but the vendor ID
changed.  I assume that this new vendor ID is from Andor (anyone with an
Andor USB camera could check if this is true).  In any case, I added the
following line to the HIDManager code:

{"LMM5-HID-Andor", 0x1428, 0x0300},

and if all works as expected, tonight's build (or later) of MM 1.4 (at a
later point the changes will be ported to 2.0), will give you a
"LMM5-HID-Andor" port.  Please let us know if the device now works for you.

Re: Spectral LMM5 USB Connection

nranthony
Ni Nico, thanks for the speedy assistance.

Your NB works well so far.  I can get everything talking and the laser unit appears to work as requested.  I'll setup all my channels etc and keep you posted if anything significant comes up.

Do you know roughly how long it might be for this to propagate to MM2?

Thanks
Neil

On 12/20/16 9:21 AM, nranthony wrote:
> Your NB works well so far.  I can get everything talking and the laser unit
> appears to work as requested.  I'll setup all my channels etc and keep you
> posted if anything significant comes up.
>
> Do you know roughly how long it might be for this to propagate to MM2?

This change (new vendor ID for the Spectral/Andor LMM5) should be in
tonight's and later builds of 2.0.