Start up screen config drop-down

KASM
I've newly reconfigured one of our microscopes and have created an
appropriate new config file to go along with it.

I now have a bunch of old hardware configuration files that are no longer
relevant to the scope. I'd like to remove the "memory" of them form the
drop-down menu on the start up splash screen, because they would now just be
confusing for users. I've tried reinstalling micromanager by removing the
old folder from Program Files and dropping in a newly downloaded one, but
apparently the preference file must be saved elsewhere.

Can anyone help me find the preference file that houses the shortcuts to
previously used config files? Or tell me how else I can go about clearing
the recent hardware configurations drop-down?

Thanks.

All the best,
Katrina

Re: Start up screen config drop-down

Stuurman, Nico
On 1/17/19 1:30 AM, KASM wrote:

> I now have a bunch of old hardware configuration files that are no longer
> relevant to the scope. I'd like to remove the "memory" of them form the
> drop-down menu on the start up splash screen, because they would now just be
> confusing for users. I've tried reinstalling micromanager by removing the
> old folder from Program Files and dropping in a newly downloaded one, but
> apparently the preference file must be saved elsewhere.
>
> Can anyone help me find the preference file that houses the shortcuts to
> previously used config files? Or tell me how else I can go about clearing
> the recent hardware configurations drop-down?

File > Options > Reset Preferences.  Note that this will also wipe other
preferences, such as window placements and sizes, but it should be
straightforward to put all that back the way you want.

Also note that MM 2.0 uses "Profiles" where every user can have her own
preferences.

Re: Start up screen config drop-down

KASM
I've already tried doing that as well, but to no avail. We are using MM 2.0,
but we don't have multiple user profiles set up.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

On 1/18/19 5:20 AM, KASM wrote:
> I've already tried doing that as well, but to no avail. We are using MM 2.0,
> but we don't have multiple user profiles set up.

Multiple user profiles is very helpful.

If you are really desperate about this, you can try wiping the Java
preferences altogether.  Do so at your own risk.

On Windows, the Java preferences appear to be stored in the registry.
Edit using "regedit" (do not ignore the warnings, you can render your
computer inoperable by making mistakes).  Preferences are store under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > JavaSoft > Prefs > org > micromanager ,
and also some under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > JavaSoft > Prefs >
org > micromanager

Re: Start up screen config drop-down

nanthony
Stuurman, Nico wrote
>> I've already tried doing that as well, but to no avail. We are using MM
>> 2.0,
>> but we don't have multiple user profiles set up.

Hi Katrina,

Something that should work and will be less invasive than messing with
registry would be deleting your user profile information.

This is stored in a hidden file in your user folder.
{user}/AppData/Local/Micro-Manager

You will find .json files for each user profile. You can A: delete the
files, or B: use a text editor to remove the unwanted hardware configs from
the ""org.micromanager.profile.internal.gui.HardwareConfigurationManager"
section of the .json file.

I would agree with Nico that using multiple user profiles is the way to go.
For each unique hardware configuration that I have I also have a separate
user profile, this allows me to have different micromanager options (such as
on-the-fly processors) for each separate config file. When starting up the
user just needs to select the correct user profile and the correct hardware
config will be automatically selected.

--Nick