Support from Open Imaging

bugalo
Hi,

We have several microscopes at our lab controlled by MicroManager. We have had several issues with them, so we decided to purchase Open Imaging's Lab Program. After purchase, we contacted Open Imaging for support, and we have not heard from them since. Our first email sent for support happened on November 5th, i.e. 44 days ago. We didn't hear back from them. We proceeded to send more emails to both the support email adress and to every and each email we have from Open Imaging to no avail, we haven't heard back from them. We also called the support phone number. We were greeted by an answering machine. We proceeded to leave several messeges, but they have not replied back. We are writing to this public email list as a last effort to know if anyone is having the same issue, and if anyone can help us getting the support we purchased.

Thanks.

Re: Support from Open Imaging

m.losen

Dear Manu,

Since Micromanager is supported by the community of users as well as by Open Imaging, maybe you could consider to post the technical issues you mentioned in this forum.

Hopefully somebody can help, especially if there are urgent issues.

Greetings,

Mario

Re: Support from Open Imaging

bugalo
Thank you very much for your reply, Mario. I am not complaining about the MicroManager community. I've been able to setup most of our devices by following the community indications, and posting in this mailing list some of my biggest problems. This one, for example, was fixed thanks to the support received here

Others, such as the following one, were too much to be solved here

Because of that, we decided to purchase Open Imaging's support. Is anyone able to get in contact with them? Is it only us that cannot get ahold of them, or are they M.I.A. for everyone?

El mié., 19 dic. 2018 a las 14:47, Losen, M (NP) (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Dear Manu,

Since Micromanager is supported by the community of users as well as by Open Imaging, maybe you could consider to post the technical issues you mentioned in this forum.

Hopefully somebody can help, especially if there are urgent issues.

Greetings,

Mario

Re: Support from Open Imaging

Fernandez, Pablo

Hi Manu,

that sounds similar to the experience I made about

one year ago when trying to purchase the support.

I never received any reply whatsoever and

finally gave up on it.

Good luck,

pablo

Tel +49-(0)89-289-12490

E27 Zellbiophysik

Technische Universität München

James-Franck-Straße 1

D 85748 Garching b. München

Re: Support from Open Imaging

Mark Tsuchida-3
Dear Manu,

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 6:26 AM Manu Gomez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Because of that, we decided to purchase Open Imaging's support. Is anyone able to get in contact with them? Is it only us that cannot get ahold of them, or are they M.I.A. for everyone?

I am very sorry about this. There is no excuse that will justify what happened here, but Open Imaging is at the moment just me, and unfortunately I have been fighting health issues over the past few months (a recurrence of problems I have had in past years), while also trying my best to keep the company alive. Although I have tried to fulfill existing subscriptions and contracts at highest priority, I must admit that I have allowed things to fall through the cracks in a few instances, one of which was yours.

I do hope you will give me the chance to make this right; I will contact you privately regarding your support requests.

I feel I owe a status update to everybody else in the µManager community as well. Some of you have been, and continue to be, extraordinarily kind and supportive of this effort to build a sustainable home for µManager, and I cannot stress how much I appreciate that. I will post a follow-up in the coming days.

Regards,
Mark

Re: Support from Open Imaging

m.losen

Hi Manu,

Regarding the issue you reported here:

Others, such as the following one, were too much to be solved here

We have the same problem on one of our systems (MM1.4, Win 7 64 bit, Marzhauser stage, Qimaging EXiAqua, Olympus IX81), while 2 other systems work fine.

The hardware configurations are very different on each of our microscopes; I suspect there’s an issue in my configuration file, one of the device adapters or maybe just the PC settings, like COM ports etc, but it could also be hardware related.

Power-cycling the microscope components and restarting MM after that eventually always works, and the software runs completely stable after that, which is the most important for us.

I’ll send an error log file later, maybe that can help to find the cause.

Greetings,

Mario

PS

@Mark, if you read this: hope you feel better soon! Is there any chance Open Imaging can grow? I imagine there must be a tremendous amount of work, especially considering that you run an international company.

Re: Support from Open Imaging

samuel.choblet

Dear Micro-manager community,

We are one the (very) happy customer of Open Imaging  and I don’t think that we are alone.

We had to deal with various companies in this world  regarding the interfacing of our piezostages under Micromanager : most of them did not the responsiveness that we expected, one was quite responsive but unfortunately no longer exist (ESImaging) , we finally subcontracted some work with Open Imaging. We knew that Open Imaging was a single man company. We knew also that programming was not an easy task, especially when you have to go into the program developed by someone else.

But Mark Tsuchida from Open Imaging did the requested job beautifully and is certainly one of the most helpful person we have met so far in terms Micromanager programming. The consequence is that that everybody who use our piezostages under Micromanager did not file any complaints about the device adapter Mark developed for us. This statement seems to be not always true for larger corporations who can support a full team of programmers, who are certainly very experienced but not necessarily aware of all the crashes/tricks/problems that can happen with such an open-source software (and that has to work with so many different devices !)

As far as we know, Mark Tsuchida was one of the forerunners of Micromanger.  The question is : Who can help you better regarding  Micromanager than one of the original programmer of Micromanager ? We think no one. To sum up, if there should be only one company for servicing Micromanager, that will be Open Imaging. And I do hope that for all the “Micro-Manager-General” communities that Open Imaging will have a long life.

PS : Our company has no financial in Open Imaging. We just wanted to give our opinion on a single-man company that we appreciate.

Best regards,

Samuel CHOBLET

Next exhibits we will be present at :

- BIOS/PW (February 2-7, San Francisco)

- Laser World of Photonics (March 20-22, Shanghai)

- Focus On Microscopy (April 14-17, London)

PIEZOCONCEPT
15 Rue du Bocage
69008 LYON (France)
Phone Europe : +33 (0)4 78 74 24 56