Sutter shutters don't follow delays set in Hardware Configuration Wizard

FS

Sutter shutters don't follow delays set in Hardware Configuration Wizard

FS
Dear MM users/developers,

I'm using Sutter Smart-shutters in Micromanager 1.3.45. When snapping an image, either using the "Snap" button, or the snapImage() function within a script, the shutters don't respect the delay assigned in the Hardware Configuration Wizard. For example, even if I put a delay of 10000ms, the shutters still open/close very rapidly. Actually, they open/close so rapidly that it causes softness on my images, presumably due to vibration caused by the opening the shutters. Therefore, I'd like to be able to wait ~50-75ms after opening the shutters before exposing the image

Changing the shutter mode from "Fast" to "soft" helped a bit, but doesn't eliminate the problem.

In my script, I have been able to mitigate the issue by using the following lines:

gui.setProperty( "ShutterName", "State", 1);
gui.sleep(50);
mmc.snapImage();

It seems to help, but I still get the problem when pressing the "Snap" button. Also, I used these lines with another system months ago, and had to remove them as they were causing errors (I can't remember what specific errors exactly, but will post them if they occur again).

Any help would be well appreciated!

Francois

Re: Sutter shutters don't follow delays set in Hardware Configuration Wizard

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Francois,

> I'm using Sutter Smart-shutters in Micromanager 1.3.45. When
> snapping an
> image, either using the "Snap" button, or the snapImage() function
> within a
> script, the shutters don't respect the delay assigned in the Hardware
> Configuration Wizard.

I put back in code that will cause it to honor the delay.  I did not
test the code, so please let me know as soon as possible if it works,
and/or breaks things.  It probably did not make it in tonight build,
but should be available sometime tomorrow.

FS

Re: Sutter shutters don't follow delays set in Hardware Configuration Wizard

FS
Hi Nico,

I tested the April 25 build on my WinXP machine. The shutters still don't seem to respect the delay. The only difference is that they are now much slower overall i.e. when I set the delay to 0ms, the shutters aren't as snappy as they were before. Let me know when you have another build for me to test.

Francois

Re: Sutter shutters don't follow delays set in Hardware Configuration Wizard

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Francois,

> I tested the April 25 build on my WinXP machine. The shutters still
> don't
> seem to respect the delay. The only difference is that they are now
> much
> slower overall i.e. when I set the delay to 0ms, the shutters aren't
> as
> snappy as they were before. Let me know when you have another build
> for me
> to test.

Not sure what is going on, but I spotted on problem in that code.  You
can test again with today's (April 26th) nightly build.  Let me know.

FS

Re: Sutter shutters don't follow delays set in Hardware Configuration Wizard

FS
Hi Nico,

In 1.3.45.20010427, the Sutter shutters now do respect the delay specified in the Hardware configuration wizard -- thanks!

However, the shutters are, in general, much slower than before (as reported in my earlier post). For example, when I set the delay to 0ms, the shutters used to open/close without perceptible delay. However, in the 20100427 built, there is a very noticeable delay.

Francois

Re: Sutter shutters don't follow delays set in Hardware Configuration Wizard

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Francois,

> In 1.3.45.20010427, the Sutter shutters now do respect the delay
> specified
> in the Hardware configuration wizard -- thanks!

Good!

> However, the shutters are, in general, much slower than before (as
> reported
> in my earlier post). For example, when I set the delay to 0ms, the
> shutters
> used to open/close without perceptible delay. However, in the 20100427
> built, there is a very noticeable delay.

Which version are you comparing this to (i.e., is this really do to
the code I put in?).  The code I added does some simple thing and I am
at a loss to explain how it could cause noticeable delays.  I now
added a test to see if the delay is set to 0.  If it is, the time test
will not be executed.  Could you download and install todays
(20100429) daily build and run it with the Shutter delay set to 0 and
to 1 and check under which situation you see the long shutter delay?

Thanks!