Suttor Lambda 10-3

MORRISON Harris

Hi,

We are controlling our various filter wheels on a Zeiss microscope using a Suttor Lambda 10-3 filter wheel changer. Unfortunately, I keep getting this error whether I'm using MM1.4 or MM2 with the error saying it can't see the TransShutter! It rectifies for a short time if the box is restarted but returns later which makes everything problematical. A screengrab from the Hardware configuration manager shows the issue, has anyone else come across this error?

Cheers,

Harris

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Shutter_Error_MM2_R1_config.PNG (65K) Download Attachment

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

nanthony
MORRISON Harris wrote
> We are controlling our various filter wheels on a Zeiss microscope using a
> Suttor Lambda 10-3 filter wheel changer. Unfortunately, I keep getting
> this error whether I'm using MM1.4 or MM2 with the error saying it can't
> see the TransShutter! It rectifies for a short time if the box is
> restarted but returns later which makes everything problematical. A
> screengrab from the Hardware configuration manager shows the issue, has
> anyone else come across this error?

Hi Harris,

In your image I just see your configuration but no error. It might be
helpful if you can attach one of your CoreLogs from when this error occurs.

I've been working on an alternative adapter for the lambda 10-3 but haven't
had a chance to test it. Once I have time to test it and fix the obvious
errors I'd be happy to send it to you for you to try.

--Nick

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

MORRISON Harris
Hi Nick,

Must wear glasses when attaching images, will attach the proper one tomorrow along with the corelog.

Great, that adapter sounds perfect and would be hugely helpful.

Till tomorrow,

Cheers,

Harris

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

MORRISON Harris

Morning Nick,

Attached is the correct snapshot of the errors coming out of the config page plus a couple of Corelogs from both MM1.4 and MM2.

Look forward to hearing and seeing the adapter, when it becomes available.

Cheers,

Harris

> We are controlling our various filter wheels on a Zeiss microscope using a
> Suttor Lambda 10-3 filter wheel changer. Unfortunately, I keep getting
> this error whether I'm using MM1.4 or MM2 with the error saying it can't
> see the TransShutter! It rectifies for a short time if the box is
> restarted but returns later which makes everything problematical. A
> screengrab from the Hardware configuration manager shows the issue, has
> anyone else come across this error?

Hi Harris,

In your image I just see your configuration but no error. It might be
helpful if you can attach one of your CoreLogs from when this error occurs.

I've been working on an alternative adapter for the lambda 10-3 but haven't
had a chance to test it. Once I have time to test it and fix the obvious
errors I'd be happy to send it to you for you to try.

--Nick

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Shutter_Error_MM2.PNG (65K) Download Attachment
CoreLog20181114T102340_pid4200.txt (38K) Download Attachment
CoreLog20181114T102536_pid4988.txt (72K) Download Attachment

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

nanthony
Hi Harris,

Neither of those logs appear to show any errors related to the SutterLambda
adapter, are you sure that those logs are from a session where the error
occurred? If not, then I really don't know how to get to the bottom of this.

I see that in the configuration wizard it says that the devices are failed.
Does it ever pop up an error message box though? Without a more specific
error it will be impossible to figure out the cause.

--Nick

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

Sam Lord
MORRISON Harris wrote
> We are controlling our various filter wheels on a Zeiss microscope using a
> Suttor Lambda 10-3 filter wheel changer. Unfortunately, I keep getting
> this error whether I'm using MM1.4 or MM2 with the error saying it can't
> see the TransShutter! It rectifies for a short time if the box is
> restarted but returns later which makes everything problematical. A
> screengrab from the Hardware configuration manager shows the issue, has
> anyone else come across this error?

It sounds like a communication error between the Sutter box and the
computer. Just some brainstorming: Have you set the baud rates correctly? If
you have a USB-to-serial adapter, it is supported by uM? Did you set the
power settings on the PC?

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/SutterLambda
and
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Personal_computer_setup

-Sam

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

MORRISON Harris
Hi Sam,

Something to check when I get back, am off till Friday! It's possible but think I've checked that already, and including the speed of the filter wheel as well. What's more annoying is it's intermittent, hence why I thought I'd sent failed corelogs earlier.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

MORRISON Harris

Nick,

Am off till Friday, will check and ensure that the trans shutter error box is showing, think the mistake I made here was reloading software till it didn't show! That said, have opened the software before and the trans shutter error has started mid-use but with no error window,

Till Friday,

Harris

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

MORRISON Harris

Hi Nick,

Hopefully this shows the errors now, they appear when I start either 1.4 or 2. Also it occurs during the software at unexplained moments along with the Excitation filter suddenly not playing! Having to click Live twice to open a shutter just adds to the fun sometimes.

Thanks for any info,

Harris

CoreLog20181116T090022_pid4004.txt (27K) Download Attachment
CoreLog20181116T091931_pid2848.txt (21K) Download Attachment

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

Sam Lord
MORRISON Harris wrote
> Did load device COM1 from SerialManager; label = COM1

I still think this is a problem of the device not loading from the beginning
or losing connection at some point. Maybe contact OpenImaging for more help?
Or maybe someone who can read these error logs better can find the precise
problem. Sorry I can't help more.

Sam

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

nanthony
MORRISON Harris wrote
> Hopefully this shows the errors now, they appear when I start either 1.4
> or 2. Also it occurs during the software at unexplained moments along with
> the Excitation filter suddenly not playing! Having to click Live twice to
> open a shutter just adds to the fun sometimes.

Hi Harris,

Here is the error that I see occurring in your log files:

2018-11-16T09:19:39.310178 tid3620 [IFO,Core] Will initialize device
TransShutter
2018-11-16T09:19:39.346240 tid3620 [ERR,Core:dev:TransShutter] Error in
device "TransShutter": Unknown error in the device (1)
2018-11-16T09:19:39.383303 tid3620 [IFO,Core] Unloading all devices after
failure to load system configuration

Unfortunately it doesn't tell us much and it doesn't look like there is an
easy fix. `Unknown Error` basically just means that the author of the device
adapter didn't account for whatever the source of your error is.

The only thing that is preventing me from testing the new version of the
adapter that I've been working on is that I haven't yet received the
hardware. Once that happens we will hopefully be able to make some progress.

However, while I will have a Lambda 10-3 to test on I won't have any
shutters to test which means that I  will likely need some help from you in
order to get the new device adapter working properly with shutters.

I would recommend that you follow the instructions here:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Building_MM_on_Windows#Microsoft_Visual_Studio_2010_SP1_Express

Once you have visual studio set up you will be able to build a .dll of the
device adapter from source code and you will be able to run visual studio's
debugger to pinpoint the cause of any issues.

Sorry I don't have an easier fix for you,
  Nick

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

MORRISON Harris

Hi Nick,

Ok, thanks for the info and appreciate the time you've put in. Will update here at a later stage once I, hopefully, get somewhere and perhaps have an answer for others.

No easy fixes out there.

> Hopefully this shows the errors now, they appear when I start either 1.4
> or 2. Also it occurs during the software at unexplained moments along with
> the Excitation filter suddenly not playing! Having to click Live twice to
> open a shutter just adds to the fun sometimes.

Hi Harris,

Here is the error that I see occurring in your log files:

2018-11-16T09:19:39.310178 tid3620 [IFO,Core] Will initialize device
TransShutter
2018-11-16T09:19:39.346240 tid3620 [ERR,Core:dev:TransShutter] Error in
device "TransShutter": Unknown error in the device (1)
2018-11-16T09:19:39.383303 tid3620 [IFO,Core] Unloading all devices after
failure to load system configuration

Unfortunately it doesn't tell us much and it doesn't look like there is an
easy fix. `Unknown Error` basically just means that the author of the device
adapter didn't account for whatever the source of your error is.

The only thing that is preventing me from testing the new version of the
adapter that I've been working on is that I haven't yet received the
hardware. Once that happens we will hopefully be able to make some progress.

However, while I will have a Lambda 10-3 to test on I won't have any
shutters to test which means that I  will likely need some help from you in
order to get the new device adapter working properly with shutters.

I would recommend that you follow the instructions here:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Building_MM_on_Windows#Microsoft_Visual_Studio_2010_SP1_Express

Once you have visual studio set up you will be able to build a .dll of the
device adapter from source code and you will be able to run visual studio's
debugger to pinpoint the cause of any issues.

Sorry I don't have an easier fix for you,
  Nick

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

MORRISON Harris

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the additional look. I may try switching the plugs around to see if the error remains the same or contact OpenImaging.

We recently had this box repaired, blown chip, so am wondering if they've perhaps installed a firmware update or something which is causing this!!

Thanks again for taking the time to look,

> Did load device COM1 from SerialManager; label = COM1

I still think this is a problem of the device not loading from the beginning
or losing connection at some point. Maybe contact OpenImaging for more help?
Or maybe someone who can read these error logs better can find the precise
problem. Sorry I can't help more.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

nanthony
MORRISON Harris wrote
> Thanks for the additional look. I may try switching the plugs around to
> see if the error remains the same or contact OpenImaging.
>
> We recently had this box repaired, blown chip, so am wondering if they've
> perhaps installed a firmware update or something which is causing this!!

Hi Harris,

I've got the new version working pretty well with a filter wheel.
Unfortunately I don't have a shutter so there is no way for me to test that
aspect of the code.

You can get the code from the "LambdaandVarispec" branch of the my
micromanager reposistory here:
https://github.com/nanthony21/micro-manager/tree/LambdaAndVarispecAdapters

If it's too much trouble to get visual studio 2010 set up to build the code
then I can also send you a DLL file but you won't be able to debug any
issues without visual studio.

--Nick

Re: Suttor Lambda 10-3

MORRISON Harris
Morning Nick,

Apologies for not getting back sooner, I only spotted this on my lab Christmas lunch and I'm afraid the food .... and alcohol ..... won.

Many thanks for the follow up and will have a go with this. In the short term could you send me, or a link, the DLL file, please? If this gets the ball rolling then I may then start to install VS 2010 for any debugging I come across.

Many thanks again,

Harris