Thorlabs DC4104: Switching individual LEDs On via Micro manager

Thorlabs DC4104: Switching individual LEDs On via Micro manager

rmag
Hello,
Setup : Leica DM6 FS Microscope with patch clamp setup (Axon + Luigs and
Neumann + Warner)
Although we ultimate want to use it in electrophysiology experiment, the
primary hurdles are as below.

    I want to use Thorlabs DC4104, which is 4 LED light source with Micro
Manager. The is no driver available for this particular Model no.
In recent Micro-manager build 2.0 gamma, this device series (DCxxxx) is
shown as unavailable.
In version 1.4 of Micro-manager, I can see and connect using DC4100 but this
does not allow me to use the light source to switch On one LED at a time.
Even if I configure and create experiment with one light, all the LEDs are
switching.
     The second problem statement is I want to use it as a trigger with the
LED switch ON time of 25-50ms and then wait for 500ms. How to configure it?

Thank you in advance.

-Rahul

Re: Thorlabs DC4104: Switching individual LEDs On via Micro manager

oftakofta
I am using a DC4100 with 2.0gamma at the moment, so it it possible to get it to work. I think I followed all the instructions in the manual, there is a whole bunch of drivers and software packages to install. Maybe you additionally need to setup a virtual COM port too, but I can't remember at the moment. One way around the problem with all the LEDs switching simultaneously it is to include the LED intensities in your channel settings, i.e. set 475 nm to 50% and all other to 0% for GFP  It's not a pretty or very flexible solution, but it works for me at least. My main problem with the DC4100 is its slow switching speed (you can hear a mechanical relay/switch), I'm going to try an external trigger to see if it improves.

Peace!

/Jens

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 7:51 AM rmag <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Science is built up of facts, as a house is built of stones; but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house.  /Henri Poincaré

Re: Thorlabs DC4104: Switching individual LEDs On via Micro manager

Theo As
rmag wrote
>     I want to use Thorlabs DC4104, which is 4 LED light source with Micro
> Manager. The is no driver available for this particular Model no.
> In recent Micro-manager build 2.0 gamma, this device series (DCxxxx) is
> shown as unavailable.

You probably found a solution, but I'm posting this for others, since I
spent hours connecting my DC4104 to MM.
To make the DCxxxx adapter available, you need to install the DC4100drivers
from Thorlabs, but also the DC2200 drivers. I know it is stupid, but it
worked for me. Links here https://micro-manager.org/wiki/ThorlabsDCxxxx.
Then do as if it was a DC4100. MM will display a warning message, just
ignore it.

Best,
Théo