Ti2-LAPP Modular Illumination System

JB Lugagne
Hi,

we have a Nikon Ti2 that we are piloting via MM. Everything works fine, but
we also have a Ti2-LAPP system at the back that allows us to switch between
two light sources.
From other messages in the mailing list, it looks like Nikon has been
dragging its feet on support for the Ti-LAPP, so I assume it's even worse
for the Ti2-LAPP system, but has there been any progress in the last year or
so?

Thanks!
Jean-Baptiste.

Re: Ti2-LAPP Modular Illumination System

Sam Lord
JB Lugagne wrote

> we have a Nikon Ti2 that we are piloting via MM. Everything works fine,
> but
> we also have a Ti2-LAPP system at the back that allows us to switch
> between
> two light sources.
> From other messages in the mailing list, it looks like Nikon has been
> dragging its feet on support for the Ti-LAPP, so I assume it's even worse
> for the Ti2-LAPP system, but has there been any progress in the last year
> or
> so?

I run a Ti2 with Micro-Manager, and I have no hope of Nikon releasing the
SDK for the Ti-LAPP anytime soon. My solution was to program (using the Ti2
Control software from Nikon) one of the Fn function buttons and lights on
the scope base to toggle the mirror between the two positions. For example,
when the button is pushes, it flips the mirror to the TIRF arm and a light
turns on (I added a label next to that light to say "TIRF"). It means you
have to manually set the mirror position and it doesn't encode in the
Micro-Manager metadata, but it works. It's pretty obvious for us if the
mirror is in the wrong position, because no light comes out.

Another option is to replace the mirror with a 50/50 or 80/20 mirror.

But please pressure your Nikon rep to release the SDK!

Sam