Toptica iBeam smart in MM

LukasHehn
Hi all,

Has anyone successfully used a toptica iBeam smart laser in Micro-Manager?
There isn’t a specific adapter for it, but maybe it is possible with the
iChrome MLE adapter with some modifications? Unfortunately there is no
documentation for that adapter at all.

Best,

Lukas

Re: Toptica iBeam smart in MM

JonD
Administrator
Hi Lukas,

LukasHehn wrote
> Has anyone successfully used a toptica iBeam smart laser in Micro-Manager?
> There isn’t a specific adapter for it, but maybe it is possible with the
> iChrome MLE adapter with some modifications? Unfortunately there is no
> documentation for that adapter at all.

I suggest contacting Toptica directly, IIRC they provided/support the
iChrome MLE adapter.

Jon

Re: Toptica iBeam smart in MM

LukasHehn
JonD wrote
> I suggest contacting Toptica directly, IIRC they provided/support the
> iChrome MLE adapter.

I did contact them, their response was that only the iChrome MLE is
supported and suggested using LabView to control the laser, which is not
helpful. I might have to write an adapter myself, but I've never done that
before and I will not get around to that for another few weeks at least, so
I was hoping maybe someone had done that already.

Lukas

Re: Toptica iBeam smart in MM

Straub, Volko A. (Dr.)
Hi Lukas,

I don't have any experience with this laser, but depending on how you want to use it and the trigger/control options available on the laser, it might be possible to control it using an Arduino as a shutter. Might be easier to slightly adapt the Arduino shutter code than writing a new device adapter from scratch. For example, if the laser has a TTL input to switch it on/off and allows PWM, it should be quite easy to do this with an Arduino (I have done this for LED light sources).

Just a thought,
Volko

> I suggest contacting Toptica directly, IIRC they provided/support the
> iChrome MLE adapter.

I did contact them, their response was that only the iChrome MLE is supported and suggested using LabView to control the laser, which is not helpful. I might have to write an adapter myself, but I've never done that before and I will not get around to that for another few weeks at least, so I was hoping maybe someone had done that already.

Lukas

Re: Toptica iBeam smart in MM

JDeschamps

As a matter of fact I wrote one very recently. I am still testing it in our
set-ups.

The device adapters works, but I still need to get my head around how the
laser effectively works.

Do you have any option on the laser (Fine, skill, pulsing)?

I will perform some tests in the next days and make a pull request on GitHub
when I am satisfied with the behavior!

Best,
Joran

Re: Toptica iBeam smart in MM

LukasHehn
Hi,

JDeschamps wrote
> Do you have any option on the laser (Fine, skill, pulsin

Afaik there is no options for the laser besides laser power and on/off, and
both of those are controlled by the computer connection.

Best regards and thanks for helping,

Lukas