Triggering Andor Zyla in "ExternalExposure" mode

Triggering Andor Zyla in "ExternalExposure" mode

Nenad Amodaj
Hi all,

I am trying to use Andor Zyla with "External Exposure" triggering. The way I understand how this should work is that the external TTL signal connect to "Trigger" input on the camera is supposed to determine the exposure, i.e. exposure starts on rising edge and ends on the falling edge.

I connected "Light ON" TTL output from the Spectra light engine to "Trigger" input on the camera and set the triggering mode to "External Exposure". However, it does not work as expected. The camera does start exposure on the rising edge but it does not end on the falling edge. It just keeps going forever, until micro-manager times out. I connected oscilloscope to camera "Fire" signal and "Trigger" input so I was able to see exactly what was going on.

I would appreciate any ideas or hints. I looked at the Zyla documentation and triggering white paper, but still don't understand why it doesn't work. It was not clear if this feature is available on all AndorSDK3 cameras or just on some models.

Nenad

Re: Triggering Andor Zyla in "ExternalExposure" mode

Karl Bellve-3

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:35 PM Nenad Amodaj <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

AFAIK Andor uses two types of external trigger modes. Recalling from memory...

1) External trigger starts exposure (default)
2) External trigger brackets exposure. I think Andor calls this bulb exposure.

Only some Andor Cameras/SDK/drivers support the latter trigger mode and I have never implemented myself the "bulb" trigger mode with Andor/uManager. I have with other cameras/software.

Cheers Karl

Biomedical Imaging Group
Molecular Medicine