Trouble installing MicroManager

Christopher Phenicie
Hello,

I am having some trouble installing MicroManager on a machine running 64bit Windows 7.

I am trying to connect to a Spiricon SP-1550m. This has been done successfully on one computer (also 64bit Windows 7) running MicroManager 1.4.22 using the device OpenCVgrabber. When I try to use the same configuration file on a second computer, I receive the message:
"Error: Failed to load hardware configuration
Line 17: Property,Core,Initialize,1
Error in device "OpenCVgrabber": Could not get an image from this camera (201)"
I'll include the full configuration file at the end of this email.

So, I am trying to make a new configuration file for this second computer. Here's the steps I've taken so far:

-Connect the Spirion to the computer
-Open MicroManager with configuration file (none)
-Run the Hardware Configuration Wizard
-Create New Configuration File
-Select OpenCVgrabber and click add
Then, I am met with the following message: "Error in device "OpenCVgrabber": Could not get an image from this camera (201)"

This happens both for MicroManager 1.4.22 and the latest nightly download, 1.4.23_20140304.

Is there something simple that I am missing in the configuration process?

Thank you very much for the help!

Chris

P.S. Here is the configuration file that worked on another machine:

# Generated by Configurator on Thu Nov 03 18:16:55 EDT 2016

# Reset
Property,Core,Initialize,0

# Devices
Device,OpenCVgrabber,OpenCVgrabber,OpenCVgrabber

# Pre-init settings for devices
Property,OpenCVgrabber,Camera Number,0

# Pre-init settings for COM ports

# Hub (parent) references

# Initialize
Property,Core,Initialize,1

# Delays

# Focus directions

# Roles
Property,Core,Camera,OpenCVgrabber
Property,Core,AutoShutter,1

# Camera-synchronized devices

# Labels

# Configuration presets
# Group: Channel

# Group: System
# Preset: Startup

# PixelSize settings

Re: Trouble installing MicroManager

KrisJanssen

You camera seems to use BNC composite out which implies the use of a frame grabber, hence the OpenCV grabber.

Did you actually check that on the new machine, that grabber is properly installed with all required drivers? Does it show up in _Windows_ HW manager (accessible through Control Panel) and does everything look the same 1:1?

Since you old config file doesn't seem to reference any setting that might be prone to change upon transfer between machines (like e.g. in the case of COM connected HW), I have a suspicion the grabber HW is not properly installed to begin with...

Re: Trouble installing MicroManager

Christopher Phenicie
Hi Kris,

Thank you very much for the reply!

I am sorry if this is a basic question, but I am not exactly sure what you mean about grabber HW being properly installed. I was under the impression that OpenCVgrabber was installed with MicroManager based off of this web page: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qYnzy4c1-2kJ:www.esimaging.co.uk/resources/case-studies/73-opencvgrabber-using-frame-grabbers-and-web-cameras-with-micro-manager+&cd=3&hl=xx-pirate&ct=clnk&gl=us
I also see that my installation does have a file C:\Program Files\Micro-Manager-1.4\mmgr_dal_OpenCVgrabber.dll along with two other opencv dll's (both computers have all three files).

If this is about getting the computer to run the proper drivers to communicate with the camera, both computers seem to use the same drivers. I am using a BNC to USB converter cable. When I plug the cable into Computer A (where MicroManager works just fine), I see on Device Manager that two new devices show up: "USB Composite Device" and "USB Mass Storage Device". When I plug it in to Computer B (where I am trying to install MicroManager), I see the same two devices pop up, and they are using the same drivers.

Interestingly, after unplugging and re-plugging in the USB cable on Computer B, I am now getting a different error when I run MicroManager. Now, I am able to load the configuration file, but when I try to use the software, for instance by clicking "Live",  and error pops up that says:

"Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working".

I tried updating java (now running Java 8 Update 121) and restarting the computer, but this did not help the problem.

Does this suggest the problem lies with Java, and not with MicroManager?

Thanks!

Chris