Twain Camera RE: New release: Micro-Manager 1.3.41 (beta)

Twain Camera RE: New release: Micro-Manager 1.3.41 (beta)

Hoover, Karl

Philippe,
library twaindsm dll should be in \windows\system32 also please send me a directory listing of \windows\twain_32 . Also, when you configure the hardware, do you see "twain camera" or "twain rgbcamera" - the adapter should be "twain camera" and it has been tested with color and monochrome Leica cameras.

________________________

Twain Camera RE: New release: Micro-Manager 1.3.41 (beta)

Hoover, Karl
Philippe,

I've just verified that the latest twaindsm.dll  version 2.0.9.0, as you've indicated you have installed, does work correctly here on my test computer with microManager 1.3.41. Please try the 'Sample Application' from twain.org. It will show you the same list of cameras that should appear in the microManager hardware configuration pre-initialization properties for the TwainCamera.

You can download the test application from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/twain-samples/files/TWAIN%202.0%20Sample%20Application/TWAIN%20App%202.0.8/twainapp.win32.installer.2.0.8.msi/download

This will prompt you to select a camera with a registered Twain driver, then you can press the Scan button and acquire one image. In my development and testing, whenever this program works, microManager also works. If The 'Sample Application' shows you a list of cameras can you grab a screen shot of that and send it to us.

thanks!

Karl Hoover

________________________________

Twain Camera RE: New release: Micro-Manager 1.3.41 (beta)

Hoover, Karl
Philippe,

I've got two items of good news. (1) I was able to duplicate a Twain failure which I am reasonably certain is the same failure you're seeing. This can occur with both Twain's TWAINDSM.DLL versions 2.0.8.0 and 2.0.9.0.    (2) I've corrected the problem, tested on the computer where it was exhibited and another computer and we should be able to provide a new build later today California time.

Karl

________________________________

library twaindsm dll should be in \windows\system32 also please send me a directory listing of \windows\twain_32 . Also, when you configure the hardware, do you see "twain camera" or "twain rgbcamera" - the adapter should be "twain camera" and it has been tested with color and monochrome Leica cameras.

________________________

Capturing sequential XY coordinates with PFS activated

Laura Mitic
Hi all,

We have a question concerning the interface between MicroManager and Nikon's Perfect Focus System:

Context: We wanted to capture a single focal plane at multiple XY positions with the PFS activated

How the error came about:
1) We activated the PFS on the first position and hit the memory button
2) Then we clicked to save the first XY coordinates on MM
3) Then we set up 2 additional XY positions and hit acquire with the autofocus checked (below the XY list box) as well as the the “hardware autofocus” check boxes checked for switch off during XY and Z moves.

We tried this with a single channel and got the error message “error code 20, channel configuration not defined” appearing between each shot.

The three XY coordinates were captured but only the first position was in focus, the other two positions were completely out of focus. This error only occurs when the autofocus check box is checked. Unchecking it did not solve the problem.

Is the inability to capture 3 coordinates sequentially in focus a MicroManager issue or a PFS issue?

Additional question: is there a way to set the PFS individually for each position?

Thanks for your help and apologies if this has been covered previously.

Thanks,
Laura

Laura Mitic, Ph.D.
Research Program Coordinator, Consortium for Frontotemporal Dementia Research
The J. David Gladstone Institutes
1650 Owens St.
San Francisco, CA 94158
v: 415-734-2743
f: 415-355-0960

Twain Camera RE: New release: Micro-Manager 1.3.41b (beta)

Hoover, Karl
The latest revision of microManager is now 1.3.41b. This resolves two issues in the new TwainCamera adapter. (1) An error in loading the Twain library or querying the Twain cameras could cause microManager to exit. (2) Intermittantly, the Twain library would not be loaded correctly even though the Twain software was installed correctly.

The latest build is available, as usual, at:

http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~arthur/builds/MMSetup_1_3_41b.exe

________________________________

library twaindsm dll should be in \windows\system32 also please send me a directory listing of \windows\twain_32 . Also, when you configure the hardware, do you see "twain camera" or "twain rgbcamera" - the adapter should be "twain camera" and it has been tested with color and monochrome Leica cameras.

________________________

Re: Capturing sequential XY coordinates with PFS activated

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your well organized error report!

We have a question concerning the interface between MicroManager and Nikon's Perfect Focus System:

Context: We wanted to capture a single focal plane at multiple XY positions with the PFS activated

How the error came about:
1) We activated the PFS on the first position and hit the memory button

Micro-Manager will not do anything with the "memory" of the PFS.  It will record the PFS offset in the XY-PositionList if you instruct it to do so.

2) Then we clicked to save the first XY coordinates on MM
3) Then we set up 2 additional XY positions and hit acquire with the autofocus checked (below the XY list box) as well as the the “hardware autofocus” check boxes checked for switch off during XY and Z moves.

You are using a slightly older version of Micro-Manager.  We have made significant changes to the autofocus implementation, so it might be worthwhile to check out the very latest version from our website.  You can install this side by side with the existing version, so that you can first check out that we did not accidentally break something that is important to you;)  In the current version, there are no "hardware autofocus" checkboxes anymore.  Instead, you will check a box to indicate that you want to use autofocus, and there is a dialog in which you can select the autofocus method (PFS in your case) and autofocus parameters (none in your case).  Micro-Manager now should activate the PFS at each XY position (using the recorded offset).

We tried this with a single channel and got the error message “error code 20, channel configuration not defined” appearing between each shot.

I have not encountered that error before, but it might be best to first check out the latest version to see if it has gone away.

Is the inability to capture 3 coordinates sequentially in focus a MicroManager issue or a PFS issue?

This is a Micro-Manager issue.  We'll make sure that it will work.

Additional question: is there a way to set the PFS individually for each position?

Do you mean setting the PFS offset individually for each position?  Yes, the offset can be recorded in the positionlist.

Hope this helps!

Re: Twain Camera RE: New release: Micro-Manager 1.3.41b (beta)

Philippe GENDRE

Hello Karl,

I have tested the latest build of MM on my machine.

The initial problem is vanished but an error occurs in step 4 of 9 (edit preinitialization settings) in the Hardware configuration wizzard.

The error code is 22: TwainCam. TwainDevice StartTwainCamerasequence fails: an unknown exception in the Twain.ds such as a memory violation.

Need allways your help.

Best regards,

Philippe

2009/10/15 Hoover, Karl <[hidden email]>
The latest revision of microManager is now 1.3.41b. This resolves two issues in the new TwainCamera adapter. (1) An error in loading the Twain library or querying the Twain cameras could cause microManager to exit. (2) Intermittantly, the Twain library would not be loaded correctly even though the Twain software was installed correctly.

The latest build is available, as usual, at:

http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~arthur/builds/MMSetup_1_3_41b.exe

________________________________

library twaindsm dll should be in \windows\system32 also please send me a directory listing of \windows\twain_32 . Also, when you configure the hardware, do you see "twain camera" or "twain rgbcamera" - the adapter should be "twain camera" and it has been tested with color and monochrome Leica cameras.

________________________

Re: Twain Camera RE: New release: Micro-Manager 1.3.41 (beta)

Fabrice Senger
Dear all,

unfortunatly I have the same problems with a leica dc300F camera.
With my first attempt the error code 22 was reporting a problem with image compression, this is fixed but now with the same error codeI get problem with image depth...

Any clue ?

Thanks,

Fabrice.
Hoover, Karl wrote

2009/10/13 Arthur D. Edelstein <arthuredelstein@gmail.com<mailto:arthuredelstein@gmail.com><mailto:arthuredelstein@gmail.com<mailto:arthuredelstein@gmail.com>>>

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:47 AM, Philippe GENDRE <p.gendre21@gmail.com<mailto:p.gendre21@gmail.com><mailto:p.gendre21@gmail.com<mailto:p.gendre21@gmail.com>>> wrote:
[...]

Hi Fabrice,

Can you help us track down your issue with the Leica camera? What image depths does the camera provide? Micromanager is not currently able to handle color RGB images with more than 8 bits per component.

Best Regards,
Karl Hoover