Quantcast

Upgrading Win64 MM

Knecht, David
What is the best/easiest way to update a working install of Micro-manager on a Windows machine?  I am doing this for the first time on Windows, and when I downloaded the nightly build, it did not work with the previous config file because it could not find the Andor SDK and other things installed into the previous MM folder and they could not be simply moved to the new folder.  Is there a “simple” solution?  Thanks- Dave

Dr. David Knecht
Professor , Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
University of Connecticut
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
U-3125
Storrs, CT 06269-3125
860-486-2200

Re: Upgrading Win64 MM

JonD
Hi Dave,

Knecht, David wrote
What is the best/easiest way to update a working install of Micro-manager on a Windows machine?  I am doing this for the first time on Windows, and when I downloaded the nightly build, it did not work with the previous config file because it could not find the Andor SDK and other things installed into the previous MM folder and they could not be simply moved to the new folder.  Is there a “simple” solution?  Thanks- Dave
I have never had troubles with simply installing the latest build into the same MM install folder that I have previously been using (for me, C:\Program Files\Micro-Manager-1.4\).  It seems that the installer is smart enough to overwrite/update the MM-created items (e.g. DLLs for each device adapter, contents of the plugins folder, etc.) and leaves the non-MM-created items alone (e.g. Andor SDK files, DLLs for PCO cameras, my additions to the ImageJ macros folder, etc).

It sounds like you created a new MM install folder instead of using the old one.  If that was intentional (e.g. to still be able to run the old version), maybe try creating a copy of your old install folder and then install the latest build into that.

Jon

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402