VariLC Adapter

nanthony
I am interested in interfacing with VariSpec LCTF's. Based on a quick look
through the source code it looks like the "VariLC" adapter is written for
these devices or something similar. Unfortunately I can't find any
documentation on this adapter to confirm. Is there anyone around that knows
about this adapter? If need be I can work to make this adapter work for my
purposes, but it would be good to know what the original purpose was so that
I don't mess anything up.

When I try to use the adapter I get an error saying "Cannot get value of
property 'Retardance LC-A'"

Thanks,
   Nick

Re: VariLC Adapter

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Nick,

On 7/23/2018 12:13 PM, nickexists wrote:
> I am interested in interfacing with VariSpec LCTF's. Based on a quick look
> through the source code it looks like the "VariLC" adapter is written for
> these devices or something similar.

You may want to contact Rudolf Oldenbourgh and Amitabh Verma (at the MBL
in Woods Hole).  Rudolf wrote the first version of the adapter code
while on sabbatical in our lab.

I forgot the details, but there were (commercial) issues with the liquid
crystals.  You may well have the same thing, but I can't be certain.  If
you have documentation for the command set, it should be easy to compare.

> If need be I can work to make this adapter work for my
> purposes, but it would be good to know what the original purpose was so that
> I don't mess anything up.

Most likely best to fork the code first, and contribute back whatever
you get to work as a second device adapter.

Re: VariLC Adapter

nanthony
Just to provide an update for anyone who may also want to use varispec LCTFs
with micromanager.

The VariLC adapter was originally written for the CRI VLC-DIG series of
products. However it can also work for the CRI Varispec LCTFs by setting the
"Number of Active LCs" and "Total Number of LCs" parameters to 0 when adding
the device to your configuration.