Visual artifacts on images with Thorlabs DCx cameras

Visual artifacts on images with Thorlabs DCx cameras

ahensley
I'm using Micromanager 1.4 (nightly build from last week) to collect images from my camera. I have a Thorlabs DCC3240C (one of those cube shaped USB Thorcams that uses the Tholabs DCx dll) and I'm seeing a weird and consistent artifact in all the images I take through it using Micromanager. This artifact does not show up with the official Thorcam software. I've included links to comparison images I've zoomed in to show the difference. The first shows the image through Thorcam and the second link shows the image through Micromanager with the artifacts.

The effect persists even if I change modes to 8bit or 16bit monochrome, or change binning from 1 to 2.

Does anybody know how to make Micromanager behave like the official software with regards to image quality for the USB Thorcams?

-Alex Hensley
Brandeis University

Re: Visual artifacts on images with Thorlabs DCx cameras

Stuurman, Nico
Hi Alexander,

On 11/19/2018 2:11 PM, Alexander Hensley wrote:
> I'm using Micromanager 1.4 (nightly build from last week) to collect
> images from my camera. I have a Thorlabs DCC3240C (one of those cube
> shaped USB Thorcams that uses the Tholabs DCx dll) and I'm seeing a
> weird and consistent artifact in all the images I take through it
> using Micromanager.

That is a color camera, but you are showing monochrome comparisons. Does
this camera adapter only produce monochrome images?

There has been (or possibly still is) confusion about expected byte
order for color images in Micro-Manager, and I assume that the artefact
you see is due to some kind of error related to byte order.

If you can capture color images, do the colors look alright (and the
same in both software packages)?

Re: Visual artifacts on images with Thorlabs DCx cameras

m.losen

Hi Alex,

It seems there is a Bayer pattern in the MM image you sent, and this was discussed previously for another Thorlabs camera.

Have a look here:

http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/thor-usb-color-camera-td7587143.html

I had also posted an improvised script there, as a work-around for a missing Debayer-function.

hope this helps,

Mario