What is the maximum display rate

钱东东
Hello Micro-Manager community,

I have build a device adapter for my camera in MM 2.0. The image size is 2048 * 2048, 16 bits. The frame rate is 45 from my camera.
But I got the display rate is about 15 in the live mode. Is it the fastest fps the MM can display?
Does anyone have this doubt? or What is the display rate in your case?
How can I increase the display rate?

------------------
Best regards,

Leo Qian
Software Developer

Re: What is the maximum display rate

Kyle Douglass
Hi Leo,

On 01/24/2018 10:01 AM, 钱东东 wrote:
> But I got the display rate is about 15 in the live mode. Is it the
> fastest fps the MM can display?
> Does anyone have this doubt? or What is the display rate in your case?
> How can I increase the display rate?

Nico recently provided an answer to this question here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/36200884/

In summary, the display rate is ultimately limited by the time it takes
ImageJ to draw an image. The display rate is distinct from the
acquisition rate, so even if the Live view does not refresh quickly, you
can still acquire data at full speed.

Cheers,
Kyle

--
Kyle M. Douglass, PhD
Post-doctoral researcher

Re: What is the maximum display rate

钱东东
Hi, Kyle

Yes, the display rate is distinct from the acquisition rate. I have no problem in acquiring data at full speed.
I want to display the raw monochrome data without binning.
I can not control the time ImageJ draw an image. I insert my data to the ImageJ in my device adapter.
My question is, has my insert image speed from my device adapter to the ImageJ got the limitation.
I hope to display the image as soon as faster.
Anyone can share the experience. I think we have the different way to insert the image to ImageJ.
I'm curious about your requirements with MM. Do not care about the speed of display?

Appriciate for your help!

------------------
Best regards,

Leo Qian
Software Developer

Date:  Wed, Jan 24, 2018 05:43 PM
To:  "micro-manager-general"<[hidden email]>;
Subject:  Re: [micro-manager-general] What is the maximum display rate

Hi Leo,

On 01/24/2018 10:01 AM, 钱东东 wrote:
> But I got the display rate is about 15 in the live mode. Is it the
> fastest fps the MM can display?
> Does anyone have this doubt? or What is the display rate in your case?
> How can I increase the display rate?

Nico recently provided an answer to this question here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/micro-manager/mailman/message/36200884/

In summary, the display rate is ultimately limited by the time it takes
ImageJ to draw an image. The display rate is distinct from the
acquisition rate, so even if the Live view does not refresh quickly, you
can still acquire data at full speed.

Cheers,
Kyle

--
Kyle M. Douglass, PhD
Post-doctoral researcher
The Laboratory of Experimental Biophysics
EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
http://kmdouglass.github.io
http://leb.epfl.ch

Re: What is the maximum display rate

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Leo,

On 1/24/18 3:13 AM, 钱东东 wrote:
> I can not control the time ImageJ draw an image. I insert my data to
> the ImageJ in my device adapter.
> My question is, has my insert image speed from my device adapter to
> the ImageJ got the limitation.

No.

> I hope to display the image as soon as faster.
> Anyone can share the experience. I think we have the different way to
> insert the image to ImageJ.
> I'm curious about your requirements with MM. Do not care about the
> speed of display?

Yes, I do.  There is extensive work on the Micro-Manager viewer in the
source code for the mm2.0gamma branch:
https://github.com/nicost/micro-manager/tree/ViewerPlusCV. Ultimately,
the rate limiting step is the ImageJ code drawing the image. I don't
fully understand the issue since Micro-Manager 1.4 appears to be a
little bit faster than 2.0, but both are ultimately limited by the
ImageJ code.  The next step would be to draw the image unassisted by the
ImageJ code.  We never made that step since it will involve redoing
zooming, rois, and probably  a slew of other things, plus the ability to
do image analysis using ImageJ code will be even more hampered.

So, if you want to have a stab at speeding up the display, please have a
look at the display code that can be found here:
https://github.com/nicost/micro-manager/tree/ViewerPlusCV/mmstudio/src/main/java/org/micromanager/display

Happy to accept patches!