Workshop on Micro-Manager Development

Amit Cherian
Are there regular workshops on Micro-manager where an introduction and
practical training on topics like on How to write scripts, create plugins
and develop device adaptors conducted?
Or is this too basic to be hosted?

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

Re: Workshop on Micro-Manager Development

JonD
Administrator
Amit Cherian wrote
> Are there regular workshops on Micro-manager where an introduction and
> practical training on topics like on How to write scripts, create plugins
> and develop device adaptors conducted?
> Or is this too basic to be hosted?

I'm not aware of anything like this but I think it's a great idea!
Materials generated would be very useful beyond those able to attend in
person.  Closely related would be having a "hackathon" where there is
physical proximity to allow people to support/teach each other.

The crux is the organizing and presenting... I'm not sure who would be in
position to do that at the moment.  Doing it well would require a lot of
work.  Just a brainstorm: maybe somebody like CZI would be willing to foot
the bill if an organizer/presenter applied for a grant like this one:
https://chanzuckerberg.com/rfa/essential-open-source-software-for-science/.

Jon

Re: Workshop on Micro-Manager Development

Amit Cherian
JonD wrote

> Amit Cherian wrote
>> Are there regular workshops on Micro-manager where an introduction and
>> practical training on topics like on How to write scripts, create plugins
>> and develop device adaptors conducted?
>> Or is this too basic to be hosted?
>
> I'm not aware of anything like this but I think it's a great idea!
> Materials generated would be very useful beyond those able to attend in
> person.  Closely related would be having a "hackathon" where there is
> physical proximity to allow people to support/teach each other.
>
> The crux is the organizing and presenting... I'm not sure who would be in
> position to do that at the moment.  Doing it well would require a lot of
> work.  Just a brainstorm: maybe somebody like CZI would be willing to foot
> the bill if an organizer/presenter applied for a grant like this one:
> https://chanzuckerberg.com/rfa/essential-open-source-software-for-science/.
>
> Jon
>

> --
> Sent from: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/

Thank you for your response Jon,
Do you think it would create a spark if we are to post this in the
ConfocalLitserv?

Re: Workshop on Micro-Manager Development

AustinBlanco
I’d be willing to at least write some of the scripting side training material. I’d also propose we do this using something like YouTube or zoom so our distributed community could live attend without traveling.

Austin Blanco

> On Aug 29, 2019, at 4:59 AM, Amit Cherian <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> JonD wrote
>> Amit Cherian wrote
>>> Are there regular workshops on Micro-manager where an introduction and
>>> practical training on topics like on How to write scripts, create plugins
>>> and develop device adaptors conducted?
>>> Or is this too basic to be hosted?
>>
>> I'm not aware of anything like this but I think it's a great idea!
>> Materials generated would be very useful beyond those able to attend in
>> person.  Closely related would be having a "hackathon" where there is
>> physical proximity to allow people to support/teach each other.
>>
>> The crux is the organizing and presenting... I'm not sure who would be in
>> position to do that at the moment.  Doing it well would require a lot of
>> work.  Just a brainstorm: maybe somebody like CZI would be willing to foot
>> the bill if an organizer/presenter applied for a grant like this one:
>> https://chanzuckerberg.com/rfa/essential-open-source-software-for-science/.
>>
>> Jon
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/

> Thank you for your response Jon,
> Do you think it would create a spark if we are to post this in the
> ConfocalLitserv?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://micro-manager.3463995.n2.nabble.com/

Re: Workshop on Micro-Manager Development

Amit Cherian

I’d be willing to at least write some of the scripting side training
material. I’d also propose we do this using something like YouTube or zoom
so our distributed community could live attend without traveling.
Austin Blanco

Thank you for your support Austin,
Is there anything I or someone can do to kick start with the preparations
and start discussions on a suitable date for the event?
-Amit