Quantcast

XY stage error

Judith Lacoste
Hi,

I am facing a situation that I can't resolve by myself.  The system is equipped with a Ludl BioPoint2 XY stage and some users need to visit several XY points during time lapse experiments (e.g. overnight).  So far the system has no problem repeatedly visiting several XY points during time lapse if the different points are separated by short distances (um to mm).  However, when the points are separated by centimeter-long distances, problems arise.  Here is the sequence:
-Different XY positions separated by several centimeters are created.
-The command "go to.."  is used to dictate movement of the stage from one XY position to another.
-Most of the time, an error message comes up: "Micro-Manager Error: XY stage error".
-Generally, despite this error message, the stage does move to the proper XY position a few seconds later.
-Not surprisingly, time lapse acquisitions using multiple XY points are failing.

I troubleshooted with Ludl support and there doesn't seem to be issues with the controller and stage, either by hyperterminal or ethernet connections.

Any suggestions?  Thanks for the help!

Best regards,

Judith

Re: XY stage error

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi Judith,

> I am facing a situation that I can't resolve by myself.  The system is equipped with a Ludl BioPoint2 XY stage and some users need to visit several XY points during time lapse experiments (e.g. overnight).  So far the system has no problem repeatedly visiting several XY points during time lapse if the different points are separated by short distances (um to mm).  However, when the points are separated by centimeter-long distances, problems arise.  Here is the sequence:
> -Different XY positions separated by several centimeters are created.
> -The command "go to.."  is used to dictate movement of the stage from one XY position to another.
> -Most of the time, an error message comes up: "Micro-Manager Error: XY stage error".
> -Generally, despite this error message, the stage does move to the proper XY position a few seconds later.
> -Not surprisingly, time lapse acquisitions using multiple XY points are failing.

This is most likely a time-out issue.  There are two settings that can help.  First of all, try setting the property Core-TimeoutMs to a number much larger than it is currently set to (use the Device/Property Browser, you can make it "stick" by making a group "System"-"Startup" in which you set this property.

If that does not help, you can try increasing the time-out of the serial port that connects to your stage controller.  Use the Hardware Configuration Wizard to get to that setting.

Re: XY stage error [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Goldsmith, Noel
Judith Lacoste,
I use Ludl Stages but not micro-manager.
But I suspect that what may be happening is something timing out before the
stage gets to where it's going. Of course I have no idea what micro-manager
does to achieve multiple moves.
The XY stage error could be the LUDL controller telling the micro-manager
that it is still busy.

The LUDL controller will do what it is told, the command to move to a point
is sent and then it moves, this command is only a few bytes long and if the
move is several cm then the move takes a few seconds. If while it is moving
micro-manager has a time out or goes ahead and does something else, this may
be causing your behaviour.
There is a Ludl command which can report back if the stage is still
performing a command, but I do not know if micro-manager cares about that.
We experimented with time delays based on the distance of the move.
Hope this is of some use.
Regards
Noel

On 20/09/12 4:35 AM, "Judith Lacoste, Ph.D." <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am facing a situation that I can't resolve by myself.  The system is
> equipped with a Ludl BioPoint2 XY stage and some users need to visit several
> XY points during time lapse experiments (e.g. overnight).  So far the system
> has no problem repeatedly visiting several XY points during time lapse if the
> different points are separated by short distances (um to mm).  However, when
> the points are separated by centimeter-long distances, problems arise.  Here
> is the sequence:
> -Different XY positions separated by several centimeters are created.
> -The command "go to.."  is used to dictate movement of the stage from one XY
> position to another.
> -Most of the time, an error message comes up: "Micro-Manager Error: XY stage
> error".
> -Generally, despite this error message, the stage does move to the proper XY
> position a few seconds later.
> -Not surprisingly, time lapse acquisitions using multiple XY points are
> failing.
>
> I troubleshooted with Ludl support and there doesn't seem to be issues with
> the controller and stage, either by hyperterminal or ethernet connections.
>
> Any suggestions?  Thanks for the help!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Judith

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.

Re: XY stage error [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Judith Lacoste
Apologies for the late reply.  Setting Core-TimeoutMs to a large number fixed the problem!