Ximea camera GPI/O properties not showing up

Ximea camera GPI/O properties not showing up

Roy Wollman-3
Dear All,

We just got a Ximea camera model MC050G-SY. Almost everything is working beside the gpi / gpo properties.  They do not appear in the device property browser or when probed with mmc.getDevicePropertyNames(). This is true in 1.4 and 2.0 latest builds. We can configure these properties using the Ximeo software.

We hypothesize that this might be because of the different number of ports between the camera and the driver. This model has only 3 gpi/gpo ports whereas the driver code assumes 4. Looking at the device source, the 4 gpi/gpo are hardcoded as four methods that get initialized in the camera XIMEACamera::Initialize() method. It is not hard to imagine how this hard coding is not a good thing. But we don't fully understand how MM determine what properties each device has and therefore it's just a bad feeling at this point...

Is it possible that the disagreement between 4 (driver) vs 3 (hardware) gpi/gpo states cause MM to ignore that property somehow?

Any other ideas as to what will cause a camera property to not show up and how to fix it will be highly appreciated,

Thanks,
Roy

--

Roy Wollman, PhD

Associate Professor

University of California - Los Angeles
Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology
Department Chemistry and Biochemistry
Institute of Quantitative and Computational Bioscience

Re: Ximea camera GPI/O properties not showing up

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Roy,

On 2/5/2018 4:27 PM, Roy Wollman wrote:

> We just got a Ximea camera model MC050G-SY. Almost everything is
> working beside the gpi / gpo properties.  They do not appear in the
> device property browser or when probed with
> mmc.getDevicePropertyNames(). This is true in 1.4 and 2.0
> latest builds. We can configure these properties using the
> Ximeo software.

Looks to me that these properties are generated based on a param string
that comes from the Ximea driver (in the line xiGetParamString( handle,
XI_PRM_DEVICE_TYPE, buf, 256);). That string seems to have thing like
"1394", and "USB3.0", but there is not check for "USB3.1".  I assume
that the adapter was written before USB3.1 was around, so I think that
if you copy the code under USB3.0, and replace the 0 with a 1 in the
copy, that you will have fun figuring out what is going on;)

Probably best to ask Ximea.  I think that they are quite supportive.
Plus I was also thinking about getting one of those;)

Re: Ximea camera GPI/O properties not showing up

Roy Wollman-3
Thanks, Nico!

On 2/5/2018 4:27 PM, Roy Wollman wrote:

We just got a Ximea camera model MC050G-SY. Almost everything is working beside the gpi / gpo properties.  They do not appear in the device property browser or when probed with mmc.getDevicePropertyNames(). This is true in 1.4 and 2.0 latest builds. We can configure these properties using the Ximeo software.

Looks to me that these properties are generated based on a param string that comes from the Ximea driver (in the line xiGetParamString( handle, XI_PRM_DEVICE_TYPE, buf, 256);). That string seems to have thing like "1394", and "USB3.0", but there is not check for "USB3.1".

Indeed this was the problem. The camera model was not recognized.

I assume that the adapter was written before USB3.1 was around, so I think that if you copy the code under USB3.0, and replace the 0 with a 1 in the copy, that you will have fun figuring out what is going on;)

Unfortenantely, you assume wrong. The camera type is not USB3.1. We solved this with a general "else" statement but this is probably not a good general solution to propagate back to the codebase.

Probably best to ask Ximea.

We just did. So hopefully they will update the driver to match the new cameras.

I think that they are quite supportive.  Plus I was also thinking about getting one of those;)

You should ;) they are fun and very cost effective.

Best,
Roy