Yokogawa CSU21 versus CSU22

George Patterson

Hi all,

I’m trying to help someone set up an old CSU21 for use with Micromanager but we are having difficulties.

I know that the device adapter identifies CSU22, but I don’t know the differences between the 21 and 22 models and am hoping their communication protocols are the same.  From what I've read, these models are often lumped together "CSU21/22" and am hoping the device adapter could work for both.

Using the CSU22 device adapter, I can control a few functions of the CSU21 but for some it crashes.

From browsing the CSU22 device adapter code, it seems that the commands expecting data to be returned from the device (drive speed, filter position etc.) generally fail whereas those expecting only an acknowledgement that the command was received generally work.

I found that I can control most of the functions I need using the Free Serial Port adapter and sending commands using a Beanshell  script.  In this case, the acknowledgement of a command received from the device is received, but no data is returned from the device when requested.

I’m hoping someone with experience with Micromanager and the CSU21 and CSU22 spinning disks can offer some answers to the questions below.  Right now I’m not sure if there is something broken in this CSU21 unit, if there are differences between the CSU21 and CSU22 which prevent using the CSU21 with Micromanager, or if it’s just user error on my part.

1.  Has anyone used a CSU21 successfully with Micromanager?  A “yes” answer will go a long way in helping me determine where the problem may be.

2.  Can anyone detail the differences between the CSU21 and CSU22?  I’ve been unable to find a CSU21 user manual.  If someone has one they are willing to share, I’d appreciate it.

3.  If these CSU models are significantly different, do you know if they require different commands?

Thanks,

George

Re: Yokogawa CSU21 versus CSU22

Amit Cherian
Hi George,

We have a CSU-22, and I'm trying to control is using micromanager. When I
try to set the speed, I get an error saying it could not set the speed,
although it was able to do the job (micromanager window updates the speed to
what I had tried to set it to). And as I understand from your post, the
error maybe because micromanager did not get any response from the device.

You have also mentioned about sending commands to the unit through Beanshell
script.

It would be great if you can share the commands that you use to change the
speed and the filter wheel.

Thanks
Amit

Re: Yokogawa CSU21 versus CSU22

Nico Stuurman-2

On 2/13/2018 11:29 PM, Amit Cherian wrote:
> We have a CSU-22, and I'm trying to control is using micromanager. When I
> try to set the speed, I get an error saying it could not set the speed,

Very likely a time-out issue.  Make sure that your serial port timeout
and Cor Timeout are high enough.  It can take more than 10s for the
speed to change to the value you set.

Re: Yokogawa CSU21 versus CSU22

Amit Cherian
Hi,

The speed of the Spinning Disc does change without much delay. The error
message does not make much of an issue as we are able to continue our work
unlike some cases where errors cuase micromanager to crash.

I tired configuring CSU-22 through freeserialport and the sending commands
through beansheel, this did not help either, there was no response from the
unit for any command given.

Yokogawa has discontinued support on this product as well, so no hope from
their side as well.

Regards
Amit