Zeiss Axiovert 200M focus control

Knecht, David
I have been using Micro-Manager 1.43 (Feb 2019 build) to run a Zeiss Axiovert 200M for quite a while with the ZeissCan adapter and it has worked fine with condenser and shutter controls.  I recently tried to use the focus control for the first time and could not make it work.  When I added Z focus to the Group, I got a numeric box rather than a slider and the numbers did not update as I focused the microscope.  If I tried to type other numbers to change focus I got error messages.  Should this work?  Thanks- Dave

Dr. David Knecht
Professor, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
University of Connecticut
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
U-3125
Storrs, CT 06269-3125
860-486-2200

Re: Zeiss Axiovert 200M focus control

Stuurman, Nico
On 9/11/19 10:18 AM, Knecht, David wrote:
> I have been using Micro-Manager 1.43 (Feb 2019 build) to run a Zeiss
> Axiovert 200M for quite a while with the ZeissCan adapter and it has
> worked fine with condenser and shutter controls.  I recently tried to
> use the focus control for the first time and could not make it work.
>  When I added Z focus to the Group, I got a numeric box rather than a
> slider

Why add the z focus to a group?  I have never felt the need to do that.
Use it in the MDA window, or use the stage control window to move the stage.

> and the numbers did not update as I focused the microscope.

Default is to not query the stage continuously for its position. Use the
stage control window to enable polling for the z-stage, or click the
Refresh button to update the position.  The status line at the bottom of
the window indicates the z-position (as does the stage control window).

>  If I tried to type other numbers to change focus I got error messages.

The numbers you types were likely far outside of the allowed range.
Typing numbers is a very dangerous way to control the z-stage, as it is
easy to type something you really did not want to type.  Instead, rely
on the build-in facilities (stage control window, MDA for z-stacks) to
manipulate the Z motor.

> Should this work?

It has for us for about 14 years or so.

Re: Zeiss Axiovert 200M focus control

Knecht, David
Hi Nico- I assume you are referring to being able to record Z positions in the MDA window.  That has worked fine.  I should have been clearer, but what I was trying to do was remotely control focus in a classroom VNC setting.  Dave

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fmicro-manager-general&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cdavid.knecht%40uconn.edu%7Cf54ead4980034a2578f808d737a557ae%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637039055590997489&amp;sdata=TRkE6MDNPQxnVRnwQC0dL3wjWIaC37bZ8QA%2BWynOej0%3D&amp;reserved=0

On 9/12/2019 10:38 AM, Knecht, David wrote:
> Hi Nico- I assume you are referring to being able to record Z
> positions in the MDA window.  That has worked fine.  I should have
> been clearer, but what I was trying to do was remotely control focus
> in a classroom VNC setting.  Dave

Use the stage control window.  Access either through the icon on the
main window under "Stage" or through the menu Tools > Stage Control (and
if you do not use 2.0-gamma, do yourself a favor and download it;)

Re: Zeiss Axiovert 200M focus control

Knecht, David
OK- I will try the upgrade and that route.  I saw Stage Control, but assumed that was for motorized stages since I was trying to control the objective Z drive, not the stage (hint!).  Dave

https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sourceforge.net%2Flists%2Flistinfo%2Fmicro-manager-general&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cdavid.knecht%40uconn.edu%7Cdd5251d96e254bef679508d737a91a72%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637039071753934809&amp;sdata=9wnSQjhBWKCiIrnrNdoHAUDILQD751E1cyEFpnUhdns%3D&amp;reserved=0