Zeiss definite focus not applying

tsuchyna
I have a Zeiss AxioObserver Z1 equipped with definite focus. Using the
autofocus button in MM allows me to mark a z-position. When I press the
apply button on the Zeiss controller interface it goes to the z-position
marked by MM. However, when I set MM autofocus control to the "apply"
mode it does not execute the movement to that z-position.

I noticed in a few correspondences from 3-11-10 to 3-16-10 that someone
else was having this same problem. It appeared to end with Nico saying
he would try to correct the problem. Has this issue been resolved?

Thanks

Tom

--
Thomas M. Suchyna, Ph.D.
Dept. of Physiology and Biophysics

Re: Zeiss definite focus not applying

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi Thomas,

> I have a Zeiss AxioObserver Z1 equipped with definite focus. Using the
> autofocus button in MM allows me to mark a z-position. When I press the
> apply button on the Zeiss controller interface it goes to the z-position
> marked by MM. However, when I set MM autofocus control to the "apply"
> mode it does not execute the movement to that z-position.
>
> I noticed in a few correspondences from 3-11-10 to 3-16-10 that someone
> else was having this same problem. It appeared to end with Nico saying
> he would try to correct the problem. Has this issue been resolved?

Yes it was.  Can you try the nightly build ( http://micro-manager.org/downloads.php?object=nightly ) and let us know if the problem persist/is gone?

Re: Zeiss definite focus not applying

Thomas Léoni
Hi Nico,

I also have a Zeiss Definite Focus mounted on Z1 Axio Observer and i have been trying to  use it with MM for a few weeks. I get the same problems as Thomas Suchyna (28 april)  and Tanner Astrid (11 march).
I have downloaded and installed the nightly build today.
Set "apply mode" in autofocus option is still not working.
But the new mode you have implemented, called "last position", does the job correctly, i.e the focus is search and found when activated. In multi-D-Acq. with autofocus "on" in "last position mode", the focus is search and found before each image acquisition.
I got questions about the  "ZeissDefiniteFocus period" in autofocus options : What is the time unit of the period ? What is (are) mode ("apply" or "last position" or both) where this period is applied? Is this period still applied In multi-D-Acq ?

Thank you for your great job.

Thomas Léoni,
Post-Doctorant
Adhésion Cellulaire et Inflammation
CNRS UMR 6212
Marseille 13288
France

Re: Zeiss definite focus not applying

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
> I also have a Zeiss Definite Focus mounted on Z1 Axio Observer and i
> have
> been trying to  use it with MM for a few weeks. I get the same
> problems as
> Thomas Suchyna (28 april)  and Tanner Astrid (11 march).
> I have downloaded and installed the nightly build today.
> Set "apply mode" in autofocus option is still not working.
> But the new mode you have implemented, called "last position", does
> the job
> correctly, i.e the focus is search and found when activated. In
> multi-D-Acq.
> with autofocus "on" in "last position mode", the focus is search and
> found
> before each image acquisition.

"Last Position" mode was the fix for the problem Astrid Tanner reported.

> I got questions about the  "ZeissDefiniteFocus period" in autofocus
> options
> : What is the time unit of the period ? What is (are) mode ("apply"
> or "last
> position" or both) where this period is applied? Is this period still
> applied In multi-D-Acq ?

"Period" only applies when you switch the Definite Focus on
continuously.  It is the time (I might have this wrong but vaguely
remember it is in seconds, your manual should state this) between the
unit activating focus.  This period is not used from the Micro-Manager
code (all autofocussing is "one shot"), but will be used when
switching on continuous focussing from the Zeiss control pad.