adding SerialManager

David Karig
How do I install the SerialManager (for Windows)?  I'm assuming that
this is what I need to communicate with devices that aren't directly
supported but only require simple character strings sent via RS-232.
However, I don't see it as an option under "Add device" in the
Hardware Configuration Wizard.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: adding SerialManager

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi Dave,

> How do I install the SerialManager (for Windows)?  I'm assuming that
> this is what I need to communicate with devices that aren't directly
> supported but only require simple character strings sent via RS-232.

There is no need to install the SerialManager.  It is always present
(at least, it should be).  Step 2 of the Hardware Configuration Wizard
lists the serial port that were found by the SerialManager on your
computer.  Check the box in front of the ports that you want to use
and set up the port properties as required by your hardware.  If your
system has serial ports that are not listed in Step2, make sure they
are not in use by another program.  If that is not the case, give us
more specifics about your system.