building device adapters

Daniel Jones-2
Hi,

I'm trying to write a device adapter (for an EXFO X-Cite lamp). I've
placed the code in a subdirectory in the DeviceAdapters directory. How
do I get ./configure to generate a makefile for the new adapter? I
thought maybe it would automatically do every subdirectory of
DeviceAdapters but this does not appear to be the case.

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: [micro-manager-general] building device adapters

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi Daniel,

> I'm trying to write a device adapter (for an EXFO X-Cite lamp). I've
> placed the code in a subdirectory in the DeviceAdapters directory. How
> do I get ./configure to generate a makefile for the new adapter? I
> thought maybe it would automatically do every subdirectory of
> DeviceAdapters but this does not appear to be the case.

You need to:
1. Add "EXFO-X-Cite/Makefile" (or whatever you called your directory) to the line starting with "AC_CONFIG_FILES" in DeviceAdapters/configure.in
2. Add "EXFO-X-Cite/Makefile" to the line starting with "SUBDIRS" in DeviceAdapters/Makefile.am
3. construct a "Makefile.am" for your project (take any existing one, and modify the names in them, hopefully obvious how to do this).
4. run "autoreconf
5. you might need to run configure again at this point
6. run make

Good luck!