com ports

Knecht, David
I added a new Photometrics camera to my microscope system (MM 1.4) today and had to put a new PCI board in and move a USB device cable.  When I tried to run the configuration, I got an error message related to com4 (which was the Leica microscope com port).   I started with a blank config and determined that the microscope (Leica DMIRBE on serial, not USB) had somehow been moved from Com4 to Com12 (I don’t understand the mysteries of PC COM ports).    When I tried to enter the Wizard to modify the configuration, MM froze and had to be force quit.  I decided to try to fix the problem directly be editing the config file in textedit.  I changed Com4 to Com12 every place it occurred in the config file.  When I ran MM, I got the same Com4 port error even though there is nothing about COM4 in the configuration and I still can’t get the Wizard to edit it.  Any advice on how to resurrect the configuration so I don’t have to set up all the devices again?  Thanks- Dave

Dr. David Knecht
Professor , Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
University of Connecticut
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
U-3125
Storrs, CT 06269-3125
860-486-2200

Re: com ports

m.losen

Hi David,

[...]

You could give this a try, as a workaround: If you are running Windows, rename/reassign the Com12 back to Com4 (assuming it is free) in the Windows System Device Manager. This option can be found in “Ports (COM&LPT)”, right mouse click, “properties”, “Port settings”, “Advanced”.

(also it is important to use identical Com port settings in the Windows Device manager as in the MM configuration file. I found that discrepancies can prevent MM from staring up or lead to slow communication between MM and hardware).

Hope this helps,

Mario

Re: com ports

AustinBlanco
Mario’s suggest is a good one.
Just a heads up that if the first “change com port back to a #” doesn’t seem to work, it may require a reboot. So don’t give up if it doesn’t work the first time!

Austin Blanco
Advanced Research Consulting Corporation
e. [hidden email]
w. www.advancedresearch.co
c. 510.708.2995

Hi David,