confocal upgrade suggestion

Yanfeij
Dear MM community,

 Our lab is considering upgrade a nikon Ti2E microscope to have confocal capability. I am wondering what options do I have besides Nikon. I saw Thorlabs has one, any other companies? Thanks a lot

Yanfei Jiang

Re: confocal upgrade suggestion

Farkas E. Attila-2
Hi,

We are using a STEDYCON from Abberior instruments on a Zeiss Z1 frame.
This is not just a confocal, but a STED as well. They also have a
confocal called EPYCON that can be built on just about any frame.
Check it out at
https://www.abberior-instruments.ch/products/compact-line/stedycon/
Best regards,

Attila E. Farkas
senior research associate
Biological Research Centre
Hungary, H-6726 Szeged, Temesvari krt. 62.
Tel.: +3662599601

Quoting Yanfei Jiang <[hidden email]>:

> Dear MM community,
>
>  Our lab is considering upgrade a nikon Ti2E microscope to have confocal
> capability. I am wondering what options do I have besides Nikon. I saw
> Thorlabs has one, any other companies? Thanks a lot
>
> Yanfei Jiang

Re: confocal upgrade suggestion

PAVAK SHAH-4
Are you limiting consideration to a point scan confocal?

There are lots of multi-point options from Nikon and third party integrators including spinning disk confocals based on the Yokogawa CSU-X1 and W1, the Andor Dragonfly, the Crest Optics X-Light, and others. Also similar options based on analog SIM (no need for multiple images or computational post processing for resolution improvement) such as the Yokogawa CSU-SoRa and the Visitech iSIM (I include the SoRa for completeness but personally found it to be optically inferior to the iSIM when demoed, disclaimer: I used VisiTech's first commercial iSIM as a postdoc and have since bought one for my own lab).

For live imaging of nearly any sort or cases where speed or gentleness is desired, a spinning disk or multi-point confocal is very much worth considering over a point scan system.

Best,
Pavak

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020, 3:24 PM Yanfei Jiang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear MM community,

 Our lab is considering upgrade a nikon Ti2E microscope to have confocal capability. I am wondering what options do I have besides Nikon. I saw Thorlabs has one, any other companies? Thanks a lot

Yanfei Jiang

Re: confocal upgrade suggestion

Yanfeij
Hi Pavak
As I understand, multi point options are usually more expensive, right? how much am I expecting for such a system? thanks

Yanfei

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 8:31 PM PAVAK SHAH <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It depends very much on the specific bells and whistles. I would account for anywhere from $100k - $500k+ for the upgrade depending on the specific scanner, laser lines, cameras, software etc. There are some systems on the market that can come in cheaper using LED or arc lamp excitation, but I am less familiar with their performance and specific price points.

Your Nikon rep or any of the third party integrators will be able to give you a rough ball park pretty quickly based on your needs and you can decide if it's in the realm of possibility for your budget.

Best,
Pavak