dark saved image

Yiheng Xu
Hi,
I have an issue with the brightness of the saved images.

The acquired image displayed on the window of micro-manager has normal brightness, however, after I save the picture and open it again using some other software, the picture becomes much dimmer than the normal one shown on micro-manager. I think the reason is probably the image being saved as a "tiff" version, and other people online have the same issue that a "tiff" version picture turns out to be dark. Is there any advice for this? Thank you.

Sincerely
Yiheng

Re: dark saved image

Peterbauer Thomas
On 2016-07-23 02:37, Yiheng Xu wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an issue with the brightness of the saved images.
>
> The acquired image displayed on the window of micro-manager has normal
> brightness, however, after I save the picture and open it again using some
> other software, the picture becomes much dimmer than the normal one shown on
> micro-manager. I think the reason is probably the image being saved as a
> "tiff" version, and other people online have the same issue that a "tiff"
> version picture turns out to be dark. Is there any advice for this? Thank
> you.

I suppose it's actually the other way round: Micro-Manager can display
only a part of the histogram ("Autostretch" or histogram functionality
in the "Contrast" tab of Micro-Manager, which both tweak
brightness/contrast of the displayed image). If you then open the image
in another program without this functionality, you see the true image in
the full intensity range (0-255 in the case of an 8-bit image, 0-65535
in a 16-bit image). So the image you acquired is in fact dim, it just
appears to be bright in Micro-Manager. Check these settings and
inactivate them if you always want to see the true intensity range.

Re: dark saved image

Kurt Thorn
On 7/23/2016 12:42 AM, Peterbauer Thomas wrote:

> On 2016-07-23 02:37, Yiheng Xu wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have an issue with the brightness of the saved images.
>>
>> The acquired image displayed on the window of micro-manager has normal
>> brightness, however, after I save the picture and open it again using some
>> other software, the picture becomes much dimmer than the normal one shown on
>> micro-manager. I think the reason is probably the image being saved as a
>> "tiff" version, and other people online have the same issue that a "tiff"
>> version picture turns out to be dark. Is there any advice for this? Thank
>> you.
> I suppose it's actually the other way round: Micro-Manager can display
> only a part of the histogram ("Autostretch" or histogram functionality
> in the "Contrast" tab of Micro-Manager, which both tweak
> brightness/contrast of the displayed image). If you then open the image
> in another program without this functionality, you see the true image in
> the full intensity range (0-255 in the case of an 8-bit image, 0-65535
> in a 16-bit image). So the image you acquired is in fact dim, it just
> appears to be bright in Micro-Manager. Check these settings and
> inactivate them if you always want to see the true intensity range.

This is a common problem if you use a camera with 12- or 14-bit depth,
because even the brightest image recorded by such a camera will not fill
the dynamic range of a 16-bit image.  You can learn more here:
http://www.ibiology.org/ibioeducation/taking-courses/introduction-to-digital-images.html

Kurt

Kurt Thorn
Associate Professor