Quantcast

ep-fl shutter control by umanager on Nikon 80i microscope

ep-fl shutter control by umanager on Nikon 80i microscope

libisthanks_7
We have a Nikon Eclipse 80i upright microscope. It has a digital image head M (DIH-M) that is connected to the computer (windows 7 64 bit operation system) by USB cable and recognized as “Nikon USB Microscope” as shown below in device manager when it was turned on:

According to the “Eclipse 80i/90i Brochure” in the link below:
https://www.nikoninstruments.com/Learn-Explore/Brochure-Downloads/Product-Brochures/Light-Microscope-Systems/Eclipse-80i-90i-Brochure

Page 9 of the “Eclipse 80i/90i Brochure”.
The epi-fl shutter is motorized.
I also installed “iSeriesTools_Ver244_64bit_E” from Nikon.
http://www.mvi-inc.com/wp-content/uploads/90i-Tools-Software-Manual.pdf

The ep-fl shutter was able to be controlled on and off by clicking on the Shutter Button as shown in the picture below in “iControl.exe” software.

Since the ep-fl shutter can be controlled by the computer, I’m wondering if it’s possible to control the shutter by using Micro-Manger and if anyone has the experience or knows how to configure it in Micro-Manger.
Ideally, I would like to use Micro-Manger to take time lapse image stacks using Multi-dimensional Acquisition function.

For example. Record the time lapse image with 60 time point at 1 min intervals with epi-fluoresces. In order to eliminate the photobleaching, I would like to use Micro-Manger to turn the shutter off (move away from the light path) automatically right before taking image for light to pass through and turn on (move in to the light path) automatically.
Thank you.

Re: ep-fl shutter control by umanager on Nikon 80i microscope

Nico Stuurman-2

On 3/17/2017 12:18 PM, libisthanks_7 wrote:
> We have a Nikon Eclipse 80i upright microscope. It has a digital image head M
> (DIH-M) that is connected to the computer (windows 7 64 bit operation
> system) by USB cable and recognized as “Nikon USB Microscope” as shown below.
>
> The epi-fl shutter is motorized.
>
> Since the ep-fl shutter can be controlled by the computer, I’m wondering if
> it’s possible to control the shutter by using Micro-Manger and if anyone has
> the experience or knows how to configure it in Micro-Manger.

There is support for the Nikon Eclipse 90i is Micro-Manager:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/NikonEclipse90i.  With a bit of luck, it
will work for your 80i as well.  If it works, please look at the
documentation on http://micro-manager.org for explanations on how to
configure your system for multi-dimensional imaging.

Re: ep-fl shutter control by umanager on Nikon 80i microscope

libisthanks_7
Thank you very much Nico.
I did tried the instruction on 90i before I posted for help.
I followed the instruction to install the 90i drivers but it did not succeed.
The microscope shown as "Nikon USB Microscope".
When I tried to add 90i in micromanger, it did not work since no such device was found. So I was not able to configure the Ep-fl shutter as well.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks.