hardware configuration error for IEEE camera on linux

hardware configuration error for IEEE camera on linux

Marc Durand
Hi there,

I'm running micromanager on Ubuntu linux (both x31 and x64), and I'm trying to configure it for my QImaging camera (model: Exi Blue). This is a firewire camera, so I guess the adapted device adapter should be "dc1394". However, when I load the configuration file Media:MMConfig_Firewire.cfg  (http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Dc1394) in micro-manager, I get an error 8, saying that libmmgr_dal_dc1394 is missing or corrupted.
Do you have any idea how I can fix it ?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Marc.

Re: hardware configuration error for IEEE camera on linux

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Marc,

I'm running micromanager on Ubuntu linux (both x31 and x64), and I'm trying to configure it for my QImaging camera (model: Exi Blue). This is a firewire camera, so I guess the adapted device adapter should be "dc1394". However, when I load the configuration file Media:MMConfig_Firewire.cfg  (http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Dc1394) in micro-manager, I get an error 8, saying that libmmgr_dal_dc1394 is missing or corrupted.

The Micro-Manager device adapter wiki page on the dc1394 adapter ( http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Dc1394 ) contains a link to a list with supported camera (maintained by Damien Douxchamps).  Even though the Exi Blue is not on that list, none of the QImaging cameras listed there support the IIDC standard, so I do not think that your setup is going to work.

As for the missing/corrupt libmmgr_dap_dc1394 (which is irrelevant to you), that seems to be a build issue.  Maybe someone with a dc1394 camera on linux can figure this out together with Johan?

Re: hardware configuration error for IEEE camera on linux

Marc Durand
Hi Nico,

thanks for your answer. My hope is that the list maintained by Damien Douxchamps is not up to date. The Exi blue is a quite new model, and the Qimaging reseller certifies me it should works.
Anyway, the error message appears before even checking that a camera is plugged or not, so the error is probably caused by something else, like a build issue as you mentioned. However, I'm not sure to understand why do you say that the message is "irrelevant to me" ?

Thanks, Marc.

2010/1/28 Nico Stuurman <[hidden email]>
Hi Marc,

[...]

Administrator
Hi Marc,

> thanks for your answer. My hope is that the list maintained by Damien Douxchamps is not up to date. The Exi blue is a quite new model, and the Qimaging reseller certifies me it should works.

I have seen no data to support that contention.  There is a common misunderstanding that every camera with a Firewire connector will work with libdc1394.  Anyways, try Coriander on your Ubuntu box.  If that does not work with your camera, then it will definitely not work with Micro-Manager.

> Anyway, the error message appears before even checking that a camera is plugged or not, so the error is probably caused by something else, like a build issue as you mentioned. However, I'm not sure to understand why do you say that the message is "irrelevant to me" ?

Because I do not believe your reseller (but will be happy for you if you can prove me wrong).

Re: hardware configuration error for IEEE camera on linux

E Chalaron
> Because I do not believe your reseller (but will be happy for you if
you can prove me wrong).

Sometimes it's even the manufacturer you can't trust.
I am sorry if it appears to be a bit of a bashing here, but it may be
well worth for people to know about the story.

I purchased an AVT Stingray a couple of months ago and the firmware is
all wrong (external trigger for say), and AVT does acknowledge that.
A solution would be that AVT provides a firmware update... no... they
offer to downgrade the camera for free. :-)
So stay away from the Stingray.
cheers