hardware configuration help

Callaway, Anton
I installed micromanager (MM) 1.4 on a 32-bit Windows box running OS v7.

We have an Olympus IX81 microscope with the following peripherals:
Olympus IX2-UCB control box
Prior Joystick and PreScan III motorized stage
Xcite Exacte illuminator by Lumen Dynamics

It has been running MetaMorph for years, but that software has become increasingly flaky, thus precipitating this attempted move to MM.
Regardless of  what I try to add to my MM configuration file, I get the message:
"Error in device "COM"n*:Unknown error in the device (1)"
*where n = the selected com port.
Where "Scan" is an option, I use it, but it has yet to find anything.
Is there a way to generate a hardware configuration file with MetaMorph and then import it into MM?

Any suggestions for getting this software configured will be greatly appreciated.
Anton
Anton Callaway, PhD
Gibson Lab
University of British Columbia, Okanagan campus

Re: hardware configuration help

AustinBlanco
Install each component separately, starting with the camera.
Once you have the camera running

choose a device you know worked in meta, and make sure meta still runs it in the administrator - heck the baud rate and COM port # in meta.
close meta
attempt to load that device in micromanager (not a bad idea to power cycle the device before attempting to connect in MM)
make sure to use the baud and com # copied from meta

that (should) do it, but if you go one device at a time, saving after each device is added, it’ll make life easier.

Austin Blanco
Advanced Research Consulting Corporation
e. [hidden email]
w. www.advancedresearch.co
c. 510.708.2995

On Dec 28, 2018, at 1:39 PM, Callaway, Anton <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

JonD
Administrator
In addition to Austin's excellent suggestions, note that the port scanning
feature:

- is only supported for a subset of devices (depends on the device adapter
code)

- was broken for many systems in 1.4.x nightly builds from November 27 2017
until May 22 2018 (I'm not sure how these dates translate to 2.0 builds)

Bottom line is that port scanning feature is handy for supported devices but
shouldn't be relied on.

Jon

Jon Daniels
Applied Scientific Instrumentation
29391 West Enid Rd, Eugene, OR 97402
Phone: (541) 461-8181 x118

Re: hardware configuration help

m.losen

Hi Anton,

I’m answering to your post from December, to configure the IX81 in MM.

You probably did all of these first steps, which are needed:

In the Micromanager menu, start, “Tools”, “Hardware configuration wizard”, select “create new configuration”, “Next>”, below the available devices, click on the cross next to “Olympus”, select “Olympus Hub required for all other devices”, click on “Add..”.

Here’s the crucial bit that’s a bit hidden, and I suspect here’s where you got stuck:

Click on the empty field in the “initialization Properties” table, just below “Value”.

Now a drop down menu will appear that allows you to select the COM port to which the IX81 is connected.

Select the right port, .e.g. “COM1”

(the number can be different on your system. I can think of 3 ways to figure out which COM port is connected to the IX2-UCB

-trial and error

-check com port settings in the Windows device manager, and see which one uses the settings listed below.

-check the configuration of other software that already works with the microscope (e.g. MetaMorph).

Then you can edit the “Port Properties (RS 232 settings” table.

The right settings are listed here:

https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Olympus

In addition to that, I am using the “Verbose” value of 1.

Here’s the full list from my configuration file:

Property,COM1,AnswerTimeout,500.0000

Property,COM1,BaudRate,19200

Property,COM1,DelayBetweenCharsMs,0.0000

Property,COM1,Handshaking,Off

Property,COM1,Parity,Even

Property,COM1,StopBits,2

Property,COM1,Verbose,1

Confirm with “ok”

After that MM should return to the previous menu and report that the HUB was found.

In the same menu, you can now select all components that are connected to the IX2-UCB hub, e.g. the filterwheels, shutters, etc.

After that finish the steps of the Configuration Wizard” ; these are pretty much self-explanatory.

Hope this helps,

Mario

Re: hardware configuration help

Callaway, Anton
Thanks for your responses.
I did try these suggestions and get the error message shown in the attached file.  I tried the trial and error approach to locating the COM port... all to no avail thus far.  Maybe the error message will mean something to you.

In addition, when I click "Scan" a window pops up that briefly displays the word, "Found" before disappearing.

Thanks,
Anton

Anton Callaway, PhD
University of British Columbia, Okanagan campus
________________________________

Capture.PNG (19K) Download Attachment

Re: hardware configuration help

m.losen
Hi Anton,

>" Maybe the error message will mean something to you."
The error message you reported is the same that I get when I try to add the Olympus hub in MM on my PC without the microscope attached.
The same is true for the following:
>"In addition, when I click "Scan" a window pops up that briefly displays the word, "Found" before disappearing."

So both observations suggest that there is no communication between the IX2-UCB controller and the PC (yet).

It's important to stop/close the Olympus (or any other software interacting with the microscope) before trying to connect MM with the controller.
The "RMT" Led on the upper right of the control box should be off when you start using MM and it should go on when you try to connect it in the hardware configuration wizard.
Is that the case?
If it stays on after closing all software, a power cycle of the controller is needed to reset it.

It would be helpful to check the serial port settings in the original software that is controlling the microscope.
It seems possible that your controller is configured differently from our system here (e.g. baud rate).

Greetings,
Mario