intermittent communication to CSUX1A1H

Rick Heil-Chapdelaine
Hi All,

I am having only intermittent communication with the CSUX1A1H that I am working on.  I am not sure if it is the CSUX adapter, the cyberserial PCI-serial card, or an incompatibility of putting this on a computer configured to run a red shirt system.  The issues (italicized and underlined), and the description of the system are below.  Any suggestions to get past these issues would be greatly appreciated.  Attached is the .cfg file

Errors during set-up.

Step 3 of 9: add or remove devices

NAME  ADAPTER/LIBRARY   DESCRIPTION
core  MMcore/default   core controller
CSU Main CSUX-HUB/CSUX   CSUX Hub (Needed for CSUX)
CSU FilterWheel CSUX-Filter Wheel/CSUX  Filter Wheel
CSU Dichroic CSUX-Dichroic Mirror/CSUX Dichroic Mirror
CSU Shutter CSUX-Shutter/CSUX  Shutter
CSU DriveSpeed CSUX-DriveSpeed/CSUX  DriveSpeed
Dummy Camera DCam/DemoCamera   Demo Camera
Dummy Fast Cam DRGBCam/DemoRGBCamer  Demo Streaming Camera

Step 4 of 9 edit pre-initialization settings

Device  Property Value
CSU Main Port  Com8
CSU FilterWheel WheelNumber 1

**NOTE: INTERMITTANT MESSAGE:  "Message: Error code: 22  COM8, Error code 101(65 hex)".  Can not get past, but if hit back and then next you can move to step 5 of 9**

Step 5 of 9: Select default devices and choose auto-shutter setting.

Default Camera "Dummy Fast Cam"
Default shutter "CSU Shutter"
Defai;t focus stage blank
Auto-Shutter box "checked"

Step 6 of 9:  Set delays for devices without synchronization capabilities
Name  Adapter  Delay [ms]
CSU Shutter CSUX-Shutter 1.0

Step 7 of 9:  Select devices to synchronize wtih image aquisition
CSU Main
CSU Dichroic
CSU FilterWheel
CSU Shutter
CSU DriveSpeed

step 8 of 9: Define Labels for state devices

State Devices  State Label
CSU FilterWheel  0 482
   1 525
   2 583
   3 none
   4 none
   5 none

CSU Dichroic  0 488
   1 457/514
   2 none

CSU DriveSpeed nothing to select

Step 9 of 9: test configuration, save and exit

config file
C:\Program Files\Micro-Manager-1.3\XXXXXX.cfg
Save and test overwrites previous config of same name and "Success!" message appears

I next go to "property Browser"

When I select different Filterwheel lable values, the value changes and the corresponding filterwheel state changes appropriately.  Hardware also moves appropriately.

When I select different CSU Dichroic-Label values the values intermittently do not change.  If it does not change, going between the previous and attempted position will not cause any change.  However, if I choose teh other postion of the three the dichroic will move.  The motor sounds as if it is turning a full rotation rather than a single position when the movement resumes.  A similar behaviour occurs when changing the value of the CSU Dichroic State.

When I change the value associated with the property "CSU Drive Speed-State with the slider the speed will intermittently change.  More offen the following message pops up.

Message:  Exception occurred: Error code: 22
CSU Drive Speed
CSUX-DriveSpeed. Serial command failed.  Is the device connected to the serial port?. (error code 14)

Additional message in response to moving slider value for drive speed

Message:
Exception occurred: Error code: 22
CSU FilterWheel
CSU-Filter Wheel. Invalid state (position) requested.

If I move it small amounts it is OK.  When I change the Answer time out in config wiz to 10,000.0000 ms the slider is less sensitive to errors.

In Aquisition window, when I select adjustable speed from presets I get an error message:

Message:
Exception occurred: Error code: 22
CSU DriveSpeed
CSUX-DriveSpeed. Error code 10004(2714 hex). (Error code: 10004)
Device error encountered

Channel Presets.
Get intermittant movelment between channel presets defined as Filterwheel label and state, and dichroic wheel and state.  More of an issue with moving to 488 than to either channel with 457/514 dichroic in place.

System listed below

Computer:

 Provided By Red Shirt with Red Shirt imaging system installed

 Dell Precision PWS380
 Intel(R)
 Pentium(R)D CPU 3.00GHz
 2.99 GHz, 2.0 GB of RAM
 Physical Address Extension

 Microscoft Windows XP
 Professional
 Version 2002
 Service Pack 3

Com Ports:
 SIIG CyberSerial 4S 16550 four port serial I/O card
 ports assigned 8, 9, 10, 11
 driver SIIG 6.5.1.5
 driver date:  6/22/2007

Hardware attempting to control with micromanager (will add parrallel port TTLs of AOTF later, will use dummy camera in MM and stream RedShirt NeuroCCD in redshirt software while controllilng CSUX1 and AOTF with MM)
 CSUX1A1H via serial: com port 8
  one filter wheel
  motorized dichroic
  shutter
  disk speed

 com port 8 settings in device manager/com ports
  bits per second:   115200
  data bits:    8
  Parity:    none
  stop bits:    1
  flow control:    none

 com port 8 settings in Hardware Configuration Wizard
  Answer Timeout:   6000.0000
  Baud Rate:  115200
  Delay between CharsMs: 0.0000
  Handshaking:  off
  Parity:   none
  StopBits:  1

Thanks,
Rick

CSU.cfg (3K) Download Attachment

Re: intermittent communication to CSUX1A1H

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Rick,

Could you send me (off-list) the file Corelog.txt prepared as described in the FAQ ( http://valelab.ucsf.edu/~nico/MMwiki/index.php/Micro-Manager_FAQ#Something_does_not_work.__What_do_I_do.3F ).  I'll add some comments below, but will need the Corelog to see what is going on.

Step 7 of 9:  Select devices to synchronize wtih image aquisition
CSU Main
CSU Dichroic
CSU FilterWheel
CSU Shutter
CSU DriveSpeed

Probably best to not enter devices here (having them here slows down acquisition and might lead to trouble during MD acquisition).  If there are issues with synchronization after all, you can put them back.

When I select different Filterwheel lable values, the value changes and the corresponding filterwheel state changes appropriately.  Hardware also moves appropriately.

When I select different CSU Dichroic-Label values the values intermittently do not change.  If it does not change, going between the previous and attempted position will not cause any change.  However, if I choose teh other postion of the three the dichroic will move.  The motor sounds as if it is turning a full rotation rather than a single position when the movement resumes.  A similar behaviour occurs when changing the value of the CSU Dichroic State.

Will need the Corelog.txt to see what is going on.

Message:  Exception occurred: Error code: 22
CSU Drive Speed
CSUX-DriveSpeed. Serial command failed.  Is the device connected to the serial port?. (error code 14)

Additional message in response to moving slider value for drive speed

Message:
Exception occurred: Error code: 22
CSU FilterWheel
CSU-Filter Wheel. Invalid state (position) requested.

If I move it small amounts it is OK.  When I change the Answer time out in config wiz to 10,000.0000 ms the slider is less sensitive to errors.

Correct approach.  Just increase the answer time out of the serial port and the core timeout.  It takes a long time for the drive speeds to stabilize.