new guy trying to set up Zeiss AxioImager M1

new guy trying to set up Zeiss AxioImager M1

Bradley S. DeMay
Hello, I am a graduate student in a cell biology lab at Dartmouth College.
Our current microscope setup is run through Perkin Elmer's Volocity
software but I am trying to get uManager working so we can eventually
make the switch over.
That said, I am having trouble getting uManager to recognize our microscope.

Equipment details:

Zeiss AxioImager M1
connected via RS232 cable to CAN port in back
cable runs to Keyspan 49WLC Serial Port Hub
connected to G5 Mac via USB, Max OSX 10.4

During Hardware Configuration, uManager returns error "Cannot open
communications port" (or something very similar to that).
Connection to other 'scope com ports return a more basic "can't find, is
it on?" error.

The documentation says that uManager should work with
AxioImager/Observer D1 or Z1.
Am I out of luck with our AxioImager M1?  Should I try another serial
hub?  Different CAN out-port on back?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Brad DeMay

Gladfelter Lab
Department of Biological Sciences
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH

Re: new guy trying to set up Zeiss AxioImager M1

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Bradley,

> Our current microscope setup is run through Perkin Elmer's Volocity
> software but I am trying to get uManager working so we can eventually
> make the switch over.
> That said, I am having trouble getting uManager to recognize our
> microscope.
>
> Equipment details:
>
> Zeiss AxioImager M1
> connected via RS232 cable to CAN port in back

You should not connect it to the CAN port, but to the RS232 port on
the microscope.  How does Volocity currently interface to your
microscope?

> cable runs to Keyspan 49WLC Serial Port Hub
> connected to G5 Mac via USB, Max OSX 10.4
>
> During Hardware Configuration, uManager returns error "Cannot open
> communications port" (or something very similar to that).

I do not know the specifics of the electrical connections in CAN
versus RS232 communication, but your serial port is clearly not happy.

> Connection to other 'scope com ports return a more basic "can't
> find, is
> it on?" error.

That is a much better start.  Send us your Corelog.txt in debug mode
(see FAQ) and configuration file (you can save it by closing the
Hardware Configuration Wizard) and we'll hopefully get an idea what is
going on.

> The documentation says that uManager should work with
> AxioImager/Observer D1 or Z1.
> Am I out of luck with our AxioImager M1?

The documentation that I have from Zeiss tells me that the M1 has the
same communication protocol as the Z1, so I think we can make this work.