pixel calibration failure

Redd, Michael

I am struggling with the automatic pixel calibration in micro-manager 2.0. I am using an Olympus IX-81 with an Orca ER camera and a Prior stage.  When I run the automatic calibration I get two error messages: “Error in device “Manual Focus”: Serial timout occurred.” And “XY safety limit reached.” Any ideas?

Michael Redd

Confocal Technician
Division of Biosciences

University College London
Room 526
5th Floor Rockefeller Building
21 University Street
London
WC1E 6JJ
Phone: +44 020 7679 0904 (Internal: x40904)

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/confocal-imaging

Re: pixel calibration failure

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Michael,

I am struggling with the automatic pixel calibration in micro-manager 2.0. I am using an Olympus IX-81 with an Orca ER camera and a Prior stage.  When I run the automatic calibration I get two error messages: “Error in device “Manual Focus”: Serial timout occurred.” And “XY safety limit reached.” Any ideas?

Not sure about "Manual Focus".  It really depends which device that refers to (your configuration file will tell you).  The name suggests a Z-drive, but it is a bit odd that the pixel calibrator would move a Z-Drive (then again, it all depends on your configuration).  If nothing makes sense, use Help > Report a Problem, send the Trouble Report and I'll take a look.

As for "XY safety limit reached": either you are using a low (~20x or lower) objective and need to select the larger allowed range in the dialog, or the code could not reliably find the object that you placed in the center.  That latter problem can be painful.  If you are using transmitted light, try with something fluorescent (or the other way around).  I have worked in the past on code to make this more reliable, but it turned out quite hard to make this work for all kinds of different images.