problem with TIScam

Aryeh Weiss

We have a DMK33UX264 CMOS camera, which was workimg with MM1.4 9 (latest verson).
OS is Win7/64bit

Today, I tried to switch to Y16 mode (instead of Y800), at which point it failed.
ok -- so I figured that is a bad idea, and tried to switch back.

However, after this event MM hung. After killing MM, and restarting,  I found that any attempt to access the camera by MM  result in a hang. More than, that, it also resulted in the IC-Capture acquisition software of TIS to not be able to find the camera. If I disconnected the USB 3 cable and reconnected it, then IC-Capture worked fine. But running MM and trying to access the camera produced the same failure, and same need to disconnect the cable.

What I tried:

1. Re-insatalled MM.

2. Re-installed the TIS capture driver.

3. Tried MM 2.0beta (you never know, maybe something changed...)

No success with nay of these approaches. It is as if changing the mode "poisoned"  the system for MM.

Fortunately, IC-Capture is still working (as long as someone does not try to make a TIS-CAM config file with hardware config wizard), so at least the system is usable.

Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

--
Aryeh Weiss
Faculty of Engineering

Ph:  972-3-5317638
FAX: 972-3-7384051

Fwd: problem with TIScam

Aryeh Weiss

About two weeks ago I posted some problems I had with a TIS camera. That message is appended here. I did not receive any response from the MM list.

However, I contacted TIS supports, and they were kind enough to refer me to author of the driver (who no longer works for TIS). He was able to reproduce the problem and also found that once this problem occurred, even switching cameras did not help (which is really strange).  I should point out the his investigation was done purely as a favor to me, since he is no longer connected to TIS.

He told me that the driver is  old and not currently supported (at least not by TIS), but that the openCV driver will work with TIS cameras, and it does. However, it is very limited, and cannot control many of the camera options. So we are stuck with using IC-Capture.

One important lesson from this is that it is not sufficient to check the devices page on the MM site to see if a camera is supported. It is important to check with the manufacturer to verify that the MM driver is being supported by the manufacturer.

--aryeh

[...]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Aryeh Weiss
Faculty of Engineering

Ph:  972-3-5317638
FAX: 972-3-7384051

Re: Fwd: problem with TIScam

Aryeh Weiss
Some time ago I posted the two messages appended below concerning problems with the TIS (The Image Source)  camera that we tried to use with MM. As noted below, someone at TIS tried to help. but they cannot support that device driver. The  author of the driver (who is no longer with TIS) also was kind enough to help, but basically he could only confirm the problem.

Since then, I tried the nightly builds, but that did not help.

Is  anyone in the MM "universe" using USB3 TIS cameras with MM under Win7-64? Is there anything in theUSB port configuration that might be relevant to this issue?

Thanks in advance

--aryeh

On 31/12/2017 20:40, Aryeh Weiss wrote:

[...]

Ricardo H. Pires
Hi Aryeh,

this will not answer your question. Just to say that several months ago we also got a TIS camera to run with MM in our windows 7 64-bit machine. Unfortunately we could not get around the problem of connection being lost between camera and the computer within a few seconds after accessing the camera. Both MM and IC-Capture would fail. I tried reinstalling everything, connecting the camera to different computers and used another cable since that was what customer support at the TIS forum suggested -  but that did not solve the problem either. We did not make any further attempts after that.

Best,
Ricardo
--------------------------------------
Ricardo H. J. Pires, PhD
Universität Greifswald
ZIK HIKE
Fleischmannstraße 42-44
17489 Greifswald
Deutschland
Tel: +49 (0) 3834 86 22345
Fax: +49 (0) 3834 86 22341

Re: Fwd: problem with TIScam

Aryeh Weiss
Thank you for your reply.
I can report that when I first installed the camera with MM, it worked until I tried to use a 16 bit mode. After that, I could not get MM to work with it, and attempting to use MM made the camera unavailable, even from IC-Capture.

However, IC-Capture works well, although occasionally the camera disconnects, and we need to disconnect the cable and then reconnect the cable. Then it again works. I disabled whatever power saving functions that I could find, since that sometimes causes such problems. However, that did not change anything.

It is as if the camera became "poisoned" with respect to MM. Maybe reloading or upgrading firmware would help, but since IC-Capture works, I do not want risk causing that to break.

It is unfortunate that MM is not working with my TIS camera. I have been able to get pt grey cameras working (now that pt grey makes the correct driver for MM available), and also have an  IDS camera that works fine.
These camera are similar in their characteristics to TIS cameras. In any case, the moral is to try for a while before buying...

--aryeh

On 23/04/2018 19:40, Ricardo H. Pires wrote:
[...]

Nico Stuurman-2
Hi Aryeh,

On 4/23/18 11:10 AM, Aryeh Weiss wrote:
> It is unfortunate that MM is not working with my TIS camera. I have
> been able to get pt grey cameras working (now that pt grey makes the
> correct driver for MM available), and also have an  IDS camera that
> works fine.
> These camera are similar in their characteristics to TIS cameras. In
> any case, the moral is to try for a while before buying...

Please consider updating the Micro-Manager website with this
information.  If you don't have an account yet, you can request one (and
then alert me so that I can approve you).  Having this type of
information on the website will help others.