problem with new Nikon Ti driver

Roy Wollman
Hi,

The new Nikon Ti driver doesn't seem to play nicely with MM. Basically
MM is not aware of any changes in the microscope (PFS offset, Cube
etc) that are done manually. We can control the scope fine but not
read out its status. We confirmed this by checking the PFS offset
through the command line: mmc.getPosition("PFS Offset"), changing the
offset manually than reading it again to see it doesn't change. Same
with the cube position. This creates weird behavior relating to PFS
when setting up a multi-position acquisition.

When we rolled back to a previous version of Elements / Ti Driver
things seems to work fine.

Here are the version numbers:

New (not working) NIS 3.00.548
Old (working) NIS 3.0.505

New (not working) Driver version 2.0.2.0
Old (working) driver 2.0.1.0

It seems like MM Nikon Ti driver might need an update...

Best,
Roy

Re: problem with new Nikon Ti driver

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Roy,

> The new Nikon Ti driver doesn't seem to play nicely with MM. Basically
> MM is not aware of any changes in the microscope (PFS offset, Cube
> etc) that are done manually.

Thanks for reporting this.  I have been aware of it for some time, but
have not found time to address the issue.  Hopefully soon!

There also was a discussion about this on the Nikon developer's site.
It was stated there that the newer TI driver creates a hidden window
that needs the calling party (the Micro-Manager adapter) to run a
message dispatch loop.  Needless to say that we are not running a
message dispatch loop (and needless to say that it is a tad strange
for a driver to require the application to run a message dispatch
loop, and even more strange to bring in this requirement undocumented
and from one driver version to the next...).