"Slow display"

Sam Lord
I assume that checking the box "Slow display" means that uM doesn't try to display every frame. Is that right? Just like "Slow histogram" saves processing power by not calculating the histogram for every images?

Could someone give some pointers on how and when to use? For instance, if I run my camera faster than the readout time (e.g. 10 ms), the bottom of the Snap/Live window reads "fps: 9, display fps: 49." I don't really understand how the display rate could be faster than the image acquisition rate. And when I select "Slow display," it doesn't seem to change. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using the 1.4.14_20121218 nightly build on a Win7 64-bit machine.

-Sam

Re: "Slow display"

Sam Lord
I got an offline response and was given permission to post it here:

"Slow display means MM does not try to display every frame that comes in during an acquisition. It is used to devote maximum computational resources to writing data to disk. It has no effect in live mode, as the purpose of live mode is to display images with the maximum frame rate. The display fps counter in live mode corresponds to the rate at which images are redrawn on the screen. The fps counter corresponds to the speed with which the hardware is acquiring images."

And the reason reads the display reads "fps: 9, display fps: 49." is:

"It's displaying the same frame multiple times."