send SCPI commands from micromanager over USB link

send SCPI commands from micromanager over USB link

Pascal Bochet
Hello

We want to synchronize video image acquisition on a microscope run by
Micromanager and send a trigger to a signal generator. This signal
generator is compliant with SCPI (Siglent2042X).

The BNC port which could receive this trigger on the signal generator is
occupied for other input. Therefore we need to send the trigger via the
USB (or, if no other possibility, the Ethernet) input to the signal
generator. It works manually from a SCPI environment (Keysight) on  a
computer using the USB input of the signal generator. Now we are trying
to do it from Micromanager. We see several steps.

-find and install a driver for a USB port in Micromanager
-create something (possibly a beanscript) which will sent the command
at the requires time on the USB port.
-or maybe install a serial port manager in Micromanager and have
something redirect the serial port to a USB.

We are looking for hints on how to do all this.

Finally is there a general SCPI driver for Micromanager.

Thanks for any help.

Re: send SCPI commands from micromanager over USB link

Mark Tsuchida-3
Hi Pascal,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Pascal Bochet <[hidden email]> wrote:
We want to synchronize video image acquisition on a microscope run by
Micromanager and send a trigger to a signal generator. This signal
generator is compliant with SCPI (Siglent2042X).
[...]
-find and install a driver for a USB port in Micromanager
-create something (possibly a beanscript) which will sent the command
at the requires time on the USB port.
-or maybe install a serial port manager in Micromanager and have
something redirect the serial port to a USB.

We are looking for hints on how to do all this.

Finally is there a general SCPI driver for Micromanager.

There is no direct SCPI support in µManager. If the device's USB interface is a virtual serial port (shows up as COMx), then you can use https://micro-manager.org/wiki/FreeSerialPort or https://micro-manager.org/wiki/UserDefinedSerial

Best,
Mark