shutter and autoshutter for andor CCD

jony5
Hi,
Do you know the difference between Shutter and auto shutter (I am using
an Andor iXon 885 CCD).
and why i cant change the status of the Shutter ? (I am using the matlab
interface). (when i change the auto shutter nothing happenes)

Thanks,
JD

--
ICFO - The Institute of Photonic Sciences
Mediterranean Technology Park

Re: shutter and autoshutter for andor CCD

Nico Stuurman
Administrator
Hi JD,

> Do you know the difference between Shutter and auto shutter (I am using
> an Andor iXon 885 CCD).
> and why i cant change the status of the Shutter ? (I am using the matlab
> interface). (when i change the auto shutter nothing happenes)

The "Shutter" is a physical shutter that often is mounted in front of your light source.  You have to setup a shutter in your configuration, and Micro-Manager always knows about one "default" shutter.  You can open and close this shutter using the API call setShutterOpen(bool).

"AutoShutter" will automatically open and close the shutter for you when you take an image.  You can switch this feature on and off using the setAutoShutter(bool) function.

All if this should not be confused with the shutter build into the Andor itself.  You will want to open that on startup.  If I remember correctly,  the Andor shutter state is a property.

All of this might be more clear if you use the Micro-Manager GUI to set up your system first.