sma/smb/bnc arduino shield for Micromanager?

sma/smb/bnc arduino shield for Micromanager?

Karl Bellve-3
Has anyone designed a sma or smb or bnc arduino shield for µManager?

If it doesn't exist, I am thinking of making a smb shield using the Analog pins 0-5. Digital Pins 8-13, and Digital pin 2, which is what µManager uses, and pass through 3,4,5....

Maybe put a spot for a TLV5618A...

Haere rā,

Karl Bellvé

Haere rā means Goodbye or Farewell in Māori

Re: sma/smb/bnc arduino shield for Micromanager?

AustinBlanco
I’d be game to strip the DAC stuff down off the triggerscope to make a simple shield.
Maybe using a 3d printed case. Think there is interest?

Austin Blanco
Advanced Research Consulting Corporation
e. [hidden email]
w. www.advancedresearch.co
c. 510.708.2995

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 3:32 PM Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’d be game to strip the DAC stuff down off the triggerscope to make a simple shield.
Maybe using a 3d printed case. Think there is interest?

Austin Blanco

I don't want to create work for you but I think this should exist for simple microscope projects that need to use simple TTL signals to drive shutters/lasers. I have two projects at the moment that could use it.

I was thinking of making a shield as a lid to a 3D printed case, or maybe an Arduino case that already exists. I made bnc lid for the ITC18 a few years back and it has worked well: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/q1J6vZti

Haere rā,

Karl Bellvé

Haere rā means Goodbye or Farewell in Māori

Re: sma/smb/bnc arduino shield for Micromanager?

AustinBlanco
Just revisiting this.

Any preference of Arduino device? I’ve been considering the newest Teensy 4.0 for this as it’s unbelievably fast.

I can cook up an SMA connector shield for this.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 1:03 PM Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just revisiting this.

Any preference of Arduino device? I’ve been considering the newest Teensy 4.0 for this as it’s unbelievably fast.

I can cook up an SMA connector shield for this.

That is fast. To me it is a question of size and form factor. There could be up to 16 BNC, SMA or SMB connectors on the shield plus space for the dual DAC TI 5618 chip + plus capacitors/resistors.

I am thinking of using SMB since they would be easier to package into a smaller form factor. Skyra laser that I am working with uses SMB. The smaller the PCB, the cheaper it will be to make.

Haere rā,

Karl Bellvé

Haere rā means Goodbye or Farewell in Māori

Re: sma/smb/bnc arduino shield for Micromanager?

Ti_Sapph
The driver for the NicoLase is close to what you're asking for.  It's an Arduino Uno BNC shield that can be used to drive up to 8 TTL-triggered devices (10 if you don't mind mucking around with firmware).  Can be run in MicroManager as a serial shutter or filter wheel.  PCB is ~$26 for Qty 3 from OSH Park and another $10-20 in parts to populate.

Working on a 8 x DAC shield that will stack with the BNC board.  Something I might get finished in the next couple of months.

Rusty

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 2:38 AM Rusty Nicovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
The driver for the NicoLase is close to what you're asking for.  It's an Arduino Uno BNC shield that can be used to drive up to 8 TTL-triggered devices (10 if you don't mind mucking around with firmware).  Can be run in MicroManager as a serial shutter or filter wheel.  PCB is ~$26 for Qty 3 from OSH Park and another $10-20 in parts to populate.

Working on a 8 x DAC shield that will stack with the BNC board.  Something I might get finished in the next couple of months.

Rusty,

NicoLaser is indeed close enough! You even have a BOM.  Think about using Instrumentation Op Amps + Sallen Key low pass filter into your DAC shield.

74HC4050D appears to be EOL at mouser but 74HC4050D,652 is available. I think everything else is easy.

Much appreciated!

Haere rā,

Karl Bellvé

Haere rā means Goodbye or Farewell in Māori

Re: sma/smb/bnc arduino shield for Micromanager?

Karl Bellve-3

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 2:38 AM Rusty Nicovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
The driver for the NicoLase is close to what you're asking for.  It's an Arduino Uno BNC shield that can be used to drive up to 8 TTL-triggered devices (10 if you don't mind mucking around with firmware).  Can be run in MicroManager as a serial shutter or filter wheel.  PCB is ~$26 for Qty 3 from OSH Park and another $10-20 in parts to populate.

Working on a 8 x DAC shield that will stack with the BNC board.  Something I might get finished in the next couple of months.

Rusty

Rusty,

Thanks for making your Nicolase progreect available. I had time to commit to this project and I built my first NicoLase. I brought everything home from work and built it at home. https://trello.com/b/YKRST7D2/nicolase-ttl-board

I have two more to build...

It works great. I was able use your setup that you put on github for a state device and as a shutter.  The documentation explained everything, including use cases that I wanted. I am currently driving a Skyra laser with it using DIgital TTL modulation. Eventually, I want the camera to act as the trigger..

Just a one question, you set the default serial baud to 9600, which is fine if are triggering the Nicolase from a Camera, but if you driving the Nicolase with Micromanager, it could be faster. Any reason not to set it o 57600?

Again, thanks.

Re: sma/smb/bnc arduino shield for Micromanager?

Ti_Sapph
Karl,

Very happy to hear it is working well for you!

Absolutely no reason not to up the baud rate.  The system was originally made to 'pre-configure' a programmed sequence and then have camera trigger iterate through that.  The serial communications for a state device + shutter was added years later.  We have never noticed a problem with latency with the default baud rate and frankly never bothered to change it.

Thanks,
Rusty