trouble installing micro-manager in fc11

trouble installing micro-manager in fc11

bruno Gilles
Hi,

I have been running micro-manager-1.0.69 on a Fedora 6 linux machine for
almost 2 years using a Firewire Marlin AVT F-046B camera.

Now, I am upgrading my PC to Fedora 11 and I am trying to install
micromanager 1.3 from the source.

I downloaded the latest 1.3 released using SVN and I followed more or
less the wiki page which explains how to install from the source on
Ubuntu (which is not of course Fedora).

Everything is going fine till the "make" command.
Here is part of the output from "make" at the point where I get an
error :
 Making all in MMDevice
 ..etc..
 Making all in MMCore
 ...etc..
 Making all in MMCoreJ_wrap
 make[1]: entering directory
« /home/gilles/src/micromanager/micromanager1.3/MMCoreJ_wrap »
 make ./MMCoreJ_wrap.cxx
 make[2]: « MMCoreJ_wrap.cxx » is OK.
 make[2]: leaving directory
« /home/gilles/src/micromanager/micromanager1.3/MMCoreJ_wrap »
 make ./MMCoreJ.jar
 make[2]: entering directory
« /home/gilles/src/micromanager/micromanager1.3/MMCoreJ_wrap »
 javac -source 1.5 -target 1.5 mmcorej/*.java
 javac: file not found: mmcorej/*.java

So it seems that javac doesnt find any *.jar file in
directory ../MMCoreJ_wrap/mmcorej/  ?
and MMCoreJ.jar cannot be created ?

Indeed there is no file at this point in mmcorej/ exexpt a blanc file
"empty.txt"

Makefile in MMCoreJ_wrap/ shows the following lines :

$(srcdir)/MMCoreJ.jar:  MMCoreJ_wrap.cxx \
        libMMCoreJ_wrap.la
        $(JAVAC) mmcorej/*.java
        $(JAR) cvf MMCoreJ.jar mmcorej/*.class

I checked that both MMCoreJ_wrap.cxx and libMMCoreJ_wrap.la have indeed
been created at this point.

Could you give a help, please ?

Thank you

Bruno

Re: trouble installing micro-manager in fc11

Nico Stuurman-4
Hi Bruno,

> I downloaded the latest 1.3 released using SVN and I followed more or
> less the wiki page which explains how to install from the source on
> Ubuntu (which is not of course Fedora).
>
> Everything is going fine till the "make" command.
> Here is part of the output from "make" at the point where I get an
> error :
> Making all in MMCoreJ_wrap
> make[1]: entering directory
> « /home/gilles/src/micromanager/micromanager1.3/MMCoreJ_wrap »
> make ./MMCoreJ_wrap.cxx
> make[2]: « MMCoreJ_wrap.cxx » is OK.
> make[2]: leaving directory
> « /home/gilles/src/micromanager/micromanager1.3/MMCoreJ_wrap »
> make ./MMCoreJ.jar
> make[2]: entering directory
> « /home/gilles/src/micromanager/micromanager1.3/MMCoreJ_wrap »
> javac -source 1.5 -target 1.5 mmcorej/*.java
> javac: file not found: mmcorej/*.java
>
> So it seems that javac doesnt find any *.jar file in
> directory ../MMCoreJ_wrap/mmcorej/  ?
> and MMCoreJ.jar cannot be created ?
>
> Indeed there is no file at this point in mmcorej/ exexpt a blanc file
> "empty.txt"
>
> Could you give a help, please ?

The mmcorej/*.java files are supposed to be created by Swig.  The
following line in MMCoreJ_wrap/Makefile.am should invoke swig:
           $(SWIG) -c++ -java -package mmcorej -outdir mmcorej -module
MMCoreJ -o $(srcdir)/MMCoreJ_wrap.cxx $(srcdir)/MMCoreJ.i
This same command also creates MMCoreJ_wrap.cxx.

I don't know why the mmcorej/*.java files are not where they are
supposed to be.  Maybe the detailed output of the step:
        make ./MMCoreJ_wrap.cxx
gives some clues.  Based on the information given I suspect that the
mmcorej/*.java files are put in a location different from the one
intended.