unrecognized hardware - Standa 8SMC4 USB

unrecognized hardware - Standa 8SMC4 USB

rotem perel
I have a problem adding Standa 8SMC4 USB controller via the hardware configuration wizard. The wizard recognizes the hardware, but when I try to add it an error message appears, saying it can't find the device.
The controller works well with Xilab.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

בלי וירוסים. www.avast.com

Re: unrecognized hardware - Standa 8SMC4 USB

Straub, Volko A. (Dr.)

Hi,

Not sure, but could it be that you are trying to use the incorrect Standa device adapter?

There are 3 Standa device adapters available:

1         Standa

2         StandaStage

3         Standa8SCMC4

The Standa device adapter (1) is a single axis adapter that can be used for a Z focus drive. The StandaStage adapter (2) allows for control of an XY stage and a Z focus drive. As far as I know, both (1) and (2) require that the MicroSMC drivers for the 8SMC1 stepper motor controllers (I have used them successfully with the older version of the 8SMC1 stepper motor controllers).

I believe that Standa8SCMC4 is the official device adapter provided by Standa directly with the release of the newer 8SMC4 stepper motor controllers and the Xilab software (not compatible with the older 8SMC stepper motor controllers). I don’t have any experience with this one as I don’t have any compatible control boards.

Good luck,

Volko

I have a problem adding Standa 8SMC4 USB controller via the hardware configuration wizard. The wizard recognizes the hardware, but when I try to add it an error message appears, saying it can't find the device.

The controller works well with Xilab.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Image removed by sender.

בלי וירוסים. www.avast.com

Re: unrecognized hardware - Standa 8SMC4 USB

rotem perel
Thank yo Volko

1. Standa (StandaZstage) - raise error "Unknown error in the device (1)"
2. StandaStage (StandaStageHubDriver) - raise error "there are no standa stepper drivers detected"
3. Standa8smc4(Standa8smc4XY or Standa8smc4Z ) - raise error "Unable to communicate with the device"

Thank you

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 11:48 AM Straub, Volko A. (Dr.) <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I would have expected that the Standa (1) and StandaStage (2) device adapters won’t work with your 8SMC4 controller if you have the drivers for the Xilab software installed.

It might be worth contacting Standa to see whether they can help with the error that you get when using the Standa8SMC4 device adapter (3; as I said, I don’t have any experience with that one).

As an alternative, you could try to install the older MicroSMC drivers. They might work with your 8SMC4 control board. If they work, you should be able to use the StandaStage (2) device adapter.

Good luck,

Volko

Re: unrecognized hardware - Standa 8SMC4 USB

Straub, Volko A. (Dr.)

Sorry, I don’t have any further suggestions apart from checking that the controllers actually use the MicroSMC drivers (check device manager to see driver version; the older software also has the NI-VISA drivers that work with the old SMCVieW and other LabVieW based software. See the manual available here [http://www.standa.lt/files/usb/8SMC1-USBhF%20User%20Manual.pdf ] for instructions on how to switch between NI-VISA and MicroSMC drivers).

If the Xilab drivers and software work, I would suggest getting in touch with Standa to see whether they can help with your communication problem.

Good luck,

Volko

Re: unrecognized hardware - Standa 8SMC4 USB

rotem perel
Thank you!

בלי וירוסים. www.avast.com

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 1:09 PM Straub, Volko A. (Dr.) <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would have expected that the Standa (1) and StandaStage (2) device adapters won’t work with your 8SMC4 controller if you have the drivers for the Xilab software installed.

It might be worth contacting Standa to see whether they can help with the error that you get when using the Standa8SMC4 device adapter (3; as I said, I don’t have any experience with that one).

As an alternative, you could try to install the older MicroSMC drivers. They might work with your 8SMC4 control board. If they work, you should be able to use the StandaStage (2) device adapter.

Good luck,

Volko

Re: unrecognized hardware - Standa 8SMC4 USB

MonikaP
Maybe a stupid question, but did you make sure to close Xilab and any other
software connected to the stage before running the Hardware Configuration
Wizard? You can run only one at the same time.

Re: unrecognized hardware - Standa 8SMC4 USB

rotem perel
I wasn't aware to this till today someone told me (I encountered this problem on another computer), anyway it wasn't the problem.
The problem was I didn't feed the port value (xi-com:%5C%5C.%5CCOMn) so it couldn't recognize the hardware. Somehow I missed it.
Thank you so much for the effort!