which filter wheel?

MonikaP
Hi,

I am looking for an automatic filter wheel to add to my system to use with
MM2. One wheel 6 filters is enough for me. As far as I can see, there are
adapters for Sutter and Thorlabs, anything else? Any recommendations or
what to avoid?

--
Dr Monika Pawłowska
Nencki Institute

Re: which filter wheel?

Matthieu Refregiers
Really like working with Prior's one: reliable and easy to install under MM.

Matthieu

> On 26 Jun 2019, at 10:21, Monika Pawłowska <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for an automatic filter wheel to add to my system to use with MM2. One wheel 6 filters is enough for me. As far as I can see, there are adapters for Sutter and Thorlabs, anything else? Any recommendations or what to avoid?
>
> --
> Dr Monika Pawłowska
> Nencki Institute
> 02-093 Warsaw
> Pasteura 3
> Poland

Re: which filter wheel?

AustinBlanco
Imho Sutter wheels are the best. The reason I. Say that is the number of quite old units still running 10-15 years after install.

Grammar and spelling errors courtesy of my iPhone...

Austin Blanco
C: 510.708.2995
Www.Austinblanco.com/blog

> On Jun 26, 2019, at 2:52 AM, REFREGIERS Matthieu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Really like working with Prior's one: reliable and easy to install under MM.
>
> Matthieu
>
>> On 26 Jun 2019, at 10:21, Monika Pawłowska <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for an automatic filter wheel to add to my system to use with MM2. One wheel 6 filters is enough for me. As far as I can see, there are adapters for Sutter and Thorlabs, anything else? Any recommendations or what to avoid?
>>
>> --
>> Dr Monika Pawłowska
>> Nencki Institute
>> 02-093 Warsaw
>> Pasteura 3
>> Poland

Re: which filter wheel?

Elliot M Steele
If you need to switch filters quickly then Cairn's OptoSpin is a good shout: https://www.cairn-research.co.uk/product/optospin-iv/

They can step between filters in less than 50ms and if you need to go really fast they can spin at up to 7500 RPM (obviously some hardware timing is required to keep everything nicely in sync when if you do that)

They do have uManager drivers which you get on a USB stick with the device, they're just not included in the uManager distribution yet (hopefully they will be soon)

I've also used the ThorLab's filter wheel (FW102C I think) and it worked perfectly fine, although its considerably slower than the Cairn filter wheel

(Disclaimer: I work closely with Cairn so I'm slightly biased towards thier stuff :) )

Best wishes,
Elliot

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 14:41, Advanced Research Consulting <[hidden email]> wrote:
Imho Sutter wheels are the best. The reason I. Say that is the number of quite old units still running 10-15 years after install.

Grammar and spelling errors courtesy of my iPhone...

Austin Blanco
C: 510.708.2995
Www.Austinblanco.com/blog

> On Jun 26, 2019, at 2:52 AM, REFREGIERS Matthieu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Really like working with Prior's one: reliable and easy to install under MM.
>
> Matthieu
>
>> On 26 Jun 2019, at 10:21, Monika Pawłowska <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for an automatic filter wheel to add to my system to use with MM2. One wheel 6 filters is enough for me. As far as I can see, there are adapters for Sutter and Thorlabs, anything else? Any recommendations or what to avoid?
>>
>> --
>> Dr Monika Pawłowska
>> Nencki Institute
>> 02-093 Warsaw
>> Pasteura 3
>> Poland

Re: which filter wheel?

On 6/26/19 12:59 AM, Monika Pawłowska wrote:
> I am looking for an automatic filter wheel to add to my system to use
> with MM2. One wheel 6 filters is enough for me. As far as I can see,
> there are adapters for Sutter and Thorlabs, anything else? Any
> recommendations or what to avoid?

See: https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Device_Support

 From the list:
ASI (FW1000)
Conix (do these still exist?)
Ludl
Prior
Sutter (10-3 controller and friends)
Thorlabs
Tofra

Not on the list:
Finger Lakes Instruments filter wheels (but works with MM out of the box)

Not my place to make recommendations;)